UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Happy Birthday, Rome

Ursus

I can make out a few of the words in the song but that's about it, my Latin is really poor.

It would be nice if some kind scholar could translate it for us wouldn't it?

Oh!Our eternal Rome, city of the seven hills!

Here the roads lead, the rivers flow and here is the old Capitolium.

Oh!Our Rome, once kept safe by geese, was made of marble bricks by Augustus Princeps.

Love (your name spelt backwards) still lasts to this age.

Let us cry out "Immortal Rome, we salute you" etc...

NB:Roma spelt backwards is Amor, which means love in Latin.

On the day of the Natalis Romae there will be celebrations at the Circus Maximus, with legions coming from all over Europe. You are all invited to the Circus Maximus (5.30 p.m.) to celebrate the founding of Rome ;) .

On the day of the Natalis Romae there will be celebrations at the Circus Maximus, with legions coming from all over Europe. You are all invited to the Circus Maximus (5.30 p.m.) to celebrate the founding of Rome ;) .

Would have been cool but I'm off to Naples for the week ;)

Would have been cool but I'm off to Naples for the week ;)

I'm not going either, flying back to England in a few days, but I attend the Natalis Romae every year (although each time they come up with something new).

I recommend the members of UNRV and the visitors who are in Rome to go to the Circus Maximus for the celebrations, it is really worth it!

I can make out a few of the words in the song but that's about it, my Latin is really poor.

It would be nice if some kind scholar could translate it for us wouldn't it?

Oh!Our eternal Rome, city of the seven hills!

Here the roads lead, the rivers flow and here is the old Capitolium.

Oh!Our Rome, once kept safe by geese, was made of marble bricks by Augustus Princeps.

Love (your name spelt backwards) still lasts to this age.

Let us cry out "Immortal Rome, we salute you" etc...

NB:Roma spelt backwards is Amor, which means love in Latin.

Thanks for the translation Silentium ;)

I've always wanted to see the Natalis Romae celebrations, I've seen lots of footage before and it looks fantastic.