UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"The Buildings of Byzantium" Leacroft

While published as a children's book, the 40 pager is a treasure trove of vivid color and black and white illustrations and cross sections from the history of Constantinople's architecture. It begins with cutaways of Rome's San Clemente and the Christian Community House at Dura-Europos, Iraq, as patterns for later buildings in the East Roman Empire.

Topics include: Entertainment and Inns, Fortifications, Markets, Churches, Construction and Decoration, Squinches and Pendetives, Waterworks, Houses & Palaces. For you barbarian fans or (better, fans of barbarians) there's a full color illustration of the atrium that fronted the throne room of Theodoric in Ravenna. This is a must for devotees of late antiquity, Eastern Roman Empire, and full blown Byzantinamania.

Altho out of print, the book can be found at Amazon here for about $10 USA:

http://www.amazon.com/Buildings-Byzantium-...9456&sr=1-1

In my gallery you can view page 9, 6th century scene from San Vitale, Ravenna. I wish I know how to insert images in my posts. Can anyone help?

Edited by Ludovicus

Ludovicus - this book is indeed a gem, I have it myself! It is one of my most beloved books - and I got it second hand for

Ludovicus - this book is indeed a gem, I have it myself! It is one of my most beloved books - and I got it second hand for