UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Review: Europa Universalis: Rome

Viggen

Rome Total War (RTW) seems to have set the standard for a Roman gaming experience, and all games are necessarily compared to it. Having found RTW wanting in several respects, I was definitely ready for an improvement. I wanted to find a game that left RTW in the dust, allowing me to write a triumphant review boldly proclaiming that RTW had finally been consigned to oblivion. Unfortunately Europa Universalis: Rome (henceforth designated as EUR) did not adhere to my expectations. Rarely have I been so disappointed. Consider this review a warning to not waste your time and money on this flawed product...

...read the full review of Europa Universalis: Rome

Good Review Viggen. Seeing this game's price drop in recent weeks I've been considering buying it, but I've been put off by the fact that it's basically just a turn based game (I've been spoilt by the Total War series). Even so, I thought it might still have some other areas that would put it above your usual turn based game ( I did enjoy Civilization II), but after having read your review, I've come to the conclusion it's better not to part with my cash.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically when it comes to these Paradox games, all you need to buy is Europa Universalis, because each of its associated games are a cookie cutter match to this one, with a few bells and whistles added to make it seem more adjusted to the theme. So in this one they have what, a few 'pleb' and 'equites' scores and some new graphics, but essentially you are buying EU. EU somewhat fun, but it can have a steep learning curve and many nuances that you might disastrously forget the next time you play, overburdened with probably too many options that don't do much to reflect the times as much as make you want to build a few excel spreadsheets to keep on top of what is going on.

I totally agree with Ursus' review!

Basically when it comes to these Paradox games, all you need to buy is Europa Universalis, because each of its associated games are a cookie cutter match to this one, with a few bells and whistles added to make it seem more adjusted to the theme. So in this one they have what, a few 'pleb' and 'equites' scores and some new graphics, but essentially you are buying EU. EU somewhat fun, but it can have a steep learning curve and many nuances that you might disastrously forget the next time you play, overburdened with probably too many options that don't do much to reflect the times as much as make you want to build a few excel spreadsheets to keep on top of what is going on.

;)

Are you talking EU3 here? That's the only one that is similar to Rome, all the others (the Eu2-generation games) are quite different.

CK is a role-playing game, HoI a wargame, Victoria a highly complex socio-economic simulator and then there's EU2 which I suppose is the base template but still very different from the others, as well as different from EU3 and Rome.

That said, Rome has turned out to be a flop, and I'm glad I withstood the temptation of finally getting my hands on a Roman Paradox game.

;)

Are you talking EU3 here? That's the only one that is similar to Rome, all the others (the Eu2-generation games) are quite different.

CK is a role-playing game, HoI a wargame, Victoria a highly complex socio-economic simulator and then there's EU2 which I suppose is the base template but still very different from the others, as well as different from EU3 and Rome.

That said, Rome has turned out to be a flop, and I'm glad I withstood the temptation of finally getting my hands on a Roman Paradox game.

Perhaps you are right, I think I am thinking of the progression of EUII to Roma. It was so disappointing to see how similar Rome and EU were. $50 down the drain...oh the burn! I usually keenly enjoy going out of my way of sending my money to great game developers too.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...