UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Small Error

Guest wolfinho

Guest wolfinho

first let me tell great site :D:D;)

But have a small error , for me is a big, since i am tired of people saying that iberia peninsula is spain :D .

When i as read the conquest of iberia by the romans i have lots of references to spain and since spain don

I use the term 'Spain' to describe the general geographic location of the ancient province of Hispania. Spain is a take from the original latin name for the region as a whole. I convert it to English for the ease of the reader. I've done the same with most of the province sections, and throughout the generic Roman history section in order for the modern day reader to clearly understand what area of the world is being referred to.

I've heard this before from visitors (especially regarding Macedonia), and I understand the pride one feels in their national or ethnic heritage. However, our purpose on UNRV.com is to provide a general history, which will hopefully inspire someone to continue further investigation on their own. I find it difficult to clearly illustrate a geographic location without converting some of it to modern place names. At some point we will hopefully have maps that can be inserted into various pages which will eliminate the need to describe geography in the modern sense; but until that time, I'm afraid we will have to live with the 'errors'.

• 4 months later...

Primus Pilus wrote:

"I use the term 'Spain' to describe the general geographic location of the ancient province of Hispania. Spain is a take from the original latin name for the region as a whole."

The correct reference is Hispania. Spain is the take of Espa

"you, all have their roots in Hispania"

You are right when you say Hispania not Spain.

Several independent kingdoms in the Iberian peninsula were either conquered or joined the kingdom of Castilha. Portugal was the only kingdom that was not conquered and we are as proud as the Basks or the Galician that want their culture recognized. Galicia was divided in two, the north of Portugal was part of ancient Galicia. The Spanish kings of Castilha thougt they could conquer the entire peninsula so decided to call to all their conquered kingdoms Espanha as a reference to the power of the Roman Empire and the roman colony of Hispania.

But there was a small kingdom called Portugal that put up a fight with Spain for many centuries. Just notice the size of Portugal compared to Spain and think of the size of the fight it must have been. That is why we truly believe ourselves as the descendents of the Lusitans that managed to defeat the armies of the Roman empire for many years. It is not the size that counts but great pride in your country and culture.

And if you want to talk about roots just check this:

http://hnn.us/roundup/comments/7406.html

You are right when you say Hispania not Spain.

Several independent kingdoms in the Iberian peninsula were either conquered or joined the kingdom of Castilha. Portugal was the only kingdom that was not conquered and we are as proud as the Basks or the Galician that want their culture recognized. Galicia was divided in two, the north of Portugal was part of ancient Galicia. The Spanish kings of Castilha thougt they could conquer the entire peninsula so decided to call to all their conquered kingdoms Espanha as a reference to the power of the Roman Empire and the roman colony of Hispania.

But there was a small kingdom called Portugal that put up a fight with Spain for many centuries. Just notice the size of Portugal compared to Spain and think of the size of the fight it must have been. That is why we truly believe ourselves as the descendents of the Lusitans that managed to defeat the armies of the Roman empire for many years. It is not the size that counts but great pride in your country and culture.

And if you want to talk about roots just check this:

http://hnn.us/roundup/comments/7406.html

Of course, Portugal has its roots in Latin as well and people should understand that Lusitania was just as much Roman territory as the rest of Hispania.

Even the Roman settlement of Cale (late Portucale) gives reference to the presence of Roman authority.

• 1 month later...

Tirones, The US gov does consider people from Spain, Hispanic. please read your Census. go to .gov to find it and it will clearly tell you. Just like to inform you of YOUR mistakes like you try to nit pick every little detail. abur!

Espana-Hispania-Iberia-Lusitania- (AND BY THE WAY, GENIOUS TIRONES, you want to correct everyones input, WELL PROFFESOR TIRONES DEL CULO, its AL ANDALUZ not EL !!!!) Like you said before in your two dollar claim-"i am sorry if i get a little angry whit that" well boo hoo go cry to someone who care, and stop acting like you know everything and all, cause you sound like a FOOL- you read alittle then try to use it, BASTA YA! your like so many idiots out there!

Espana-Hispania-Iberia-Lusitania- (AND BY THE WAY, GENIOUS TIRONES, you want to correct everyones input, WELL PROFFESOR TIRONES DEL CULO, its AL ANDALUZ not EL !!!!)  Like you said before in your two dollar claim-"i am sorry if i get a little angry whit that"  well boo hoo  go cry to someone who care, and stop acting like you know everything and all, cause you sound like a FOOL- you read alittle then try to use it, BASTA YA!  your like so many idiots out there!

Do not flame on this board, regardless of another person's opinions or misinformation.

This is what I found refering to this subject:

"The term "Hispania" is Latin and the term "Iberia" specifically Greek. To substitute Spanish for Iberian or for Hispanicus is anachronistic. Surviving Roman texts always use Hispania (first mentioned 200 BC by the poet Quintus Ennius), while Greek texts always employ Iberia"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispania

>Tirones, The US gov does consider people from Spain, >Hispanic. please read your Census. go to .gov to find it and >it will clearly tell you. Just like to inform you of YOUR >mistakes like you try to nit pick every little detail. abur!

I got the information from filling forms in the USA what they told was that if you are European, Portuguese or Spanish, you don

This doesn't make any sense. The purpose of this site is to discuss ancient Rome which includes Hispania (Baetica, Lusitania and Tarraconensis) It was populated at the time by several peoples including Celts (of several tribes), coastal Greeks, Phoenicians and Latins (and perhaps the Basques as nobody seems to know their complete origin).

The argument over Spain vs. Portuagal is ridiculous in the context of this site and does not belong here. I didn't mind changing the verbage of Spain to Hispania to use it in the correct historical, as per the original complaint of this thread, but aside from that, this topic has run its course.