UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Elogium of Marius

Ingsoc

Could someone give me more details about this inscription?

Here's an English translation if that helps...

http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/rosivach/...riuselogium.htm

Gaius Marius, son of Gaius, consul seven times, praetor, tribune of the plebs, quaestor, augur, tribune of the soldiers. He was specially appointed to wage war with Jugurtha, king of the Numidians, whom he captured and at his triumph in his second Consulship ordered to be led before his chariot. He was elected consul for the third time in his absence. In his fourth consulship he destroyed the army of the Teutones. In his fifth he routed the Cimbri, and triumphed a second time over them and the Teutones. He freed the republic, when consul a sixth time, from the rising of a tribune of the plebs and a praetor, who had taken up arms and had seized the Capitol. When over seventy, he was expelled from his fatherland in civil war and restored by arms, and became consul a seventh time. From his war-spoils taken from the Cimbri and Teutones he built, as the victor, a temple to Honour and Valour. In triumphal garb and patrician boots he entered the Senate.

Thanks but the inscription is pretty simple so I manage to read it in Latin.

I will try to find more information about it in one of Marius biographies.

Try Gaius Marius: A Political Biography, by Richard J. Evans (1994). Besides being a classic on this topic, the author had a lot to say about this eulogy.

This inscription (ILS 59) was in the Forum of Augustus (inaugurated by 4 BC), presumably included among a group of eulogia of illustrious Romans; there was a copy in Arpinum, Marius' natal city (CIL X.5782) and probably another in Ravenna, where it might have been consulted by Plutarch. By the XIX century the inscription was lost; what Primus Pilus posted is Mommsen's reconstruction, based on recovered fragments and Renaissance transcriptions. Probably its most interesting fact is that this is the only available source on Marius than explicitly mentions his quaestorship (usually dated to 121 BC); there has been some debate on the accuracy of this reference.

Thanks but the inscription is pretty simple so I manage to read it in Latin.

I will try to find more information about it in one of Marius biographies.

Out of curiosity, what kind of information are you looking for?