UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Trek

Ursus

I bet BSG stands for Battle Star Galactica. I have heard about that. But if it was the million dollar question, I couldn't tell you the first thing about it. And that's a good thing...

F :D rmosus

It is BattleStar Galactica. The only sci-fi movie/series that I ever liked despite being a fan of SF books.

This new pilot has Atia of the Julii in a supporting role and with clothes on her!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is BattleStar Galactica. The only sci-fi movie/series that I ever liked despite being a fan of SF books.

This new pilot has Atia of the Julii in a supporting role and with clothes on her!

Do you mean the actress that played Atia in the 'Rome' series ?

But in a supporting role and with clothes on, I don't know ....

Formosus

My tv guide describes 'Torchwood', the spin-off of 'Doctor Who' (can't be taken serious as a sci-fi series without at least a few spinn-offs) as ''a mix between 'Star Trek', 'CSI', '24' and 'The X-files''.'

Notice they don't even mention 'Doctor Who' himself.

So a mix between four shows ( well, 27 more likely if you count all the spin-offs ) that are to be avoided at all cost. That must be worth watching.

No, and I don't care which 'CSI' series you do like, Miami, Philadelphia or Sioux Falls.

I'll make an exception for the first '24' series. But, couldn't you have guessed it ? They just had to make another one and another one and another one .... How many times can you save the world and the human race in 24 hours ?

And if anyone dares to mention 'Heroes', I'll really get mad. I saw one of those nobody-actors in a talk show and he was proudly explaining that, yes, it was a big budget show. No expenses were being spared. 'You see, a lot of the action is situated in New York, but ... the series is filmed in LA. So they had to move half of NY to LA : taxi's, what not, to create an authentic looking set ...'

Really, the stupidity is mind boggling.

But, say, Nephele, how come they asked you to come up with a title for that 'Doctor Who' spin-off ?

F :) rmosus

My tv guide describes 'Torchwood', the spin-off of 'Doctor Who' (can't be taken serious as a sci-fi series without at least a few spinn-offs) as ''a mix between 'Star Trek', 'CSI', '24' and 'The X-files''.'

Notice they don't even mention 'Doctor Who' himself.

So a mix between four shows ( well, 27 more likely if you count all the spin-offs ) that are to be avoided at all cost. That must be worth watching.

No, and I don't care which 'CSI' series you do like, Miami, Philadelphia or Sioux Falls.

I'll make an exception for the first '24' series. But, couldn't you have guessed it ? They just had to make another one and another one and another one .... How many times can you save the world and the human race in 24 hours ?

And if anyone dares to mention 'Heroes', I'll really get mad. I saw one of those nobody-actors in a talk show and he was proudly explaining that, yes, it was a big budget show. No expenses were being spared. 'You see, a lot of the action is situated in New York, but ... the series is filmed in LA. So they had to move half of NY to LA : taxi's, what not, to create an authentic looking set ...'

Really, the stupidity is mind boggling.

But, say, Nephele, how come they asked you to come up with a title for that 'Doctor Who' spin-off ?

FV,

What channel is Torchwood on? I'd like to check it out one of these days.

Ha! I only wish that "Torchwood" was one of my own anagrams. Cheers to whoever came up with that anagram -- it's a good one.

-- Nephele

FV,

What channel is Torchwood on? I'd like to check it out one of these days.

This of course goes totally against my principles, but well, I've said A, so I'll have to say B.

I don't think it is running at the moment. It's the BBC style, you know, on and off for a few months intermittently. Since it is a succes ( it seems to be better than Doctor Who from what little I've seen anyway ) there'll no doubt be another series starting in the fall.

I think it was scheduled on Saturday in the early evening om BBC 1 but don't take my word for it. They almost certainly have late nite repeats too (with sign language !). And it will probably find it's way onto other channels as well, pretty soon. You know how these alien life forms spread.

If I see any sign of it I'll let you know.

No, honest, I swear.

That description I gave comes from a short review of a DVD box release.

Well, what with all this sci-fi fanaticism over here and the anagram, how could I resist ?

But really, I thought, no, that one is too easy for Nephele.

Do you mean the actress that played Atia in the 'Rome' series ?

But in a supporting role and with clothes on, I don't know ....

Formosus

Yes, Atia from "Rome". She is already scheming and maybe in future episodes she may lose some cloth. She is, shockingly, Sister Clarisse (no longer a Clarissime) in a school named Athena Academy but her view on the official polytheism is... no, I'm not going to tell you :)

Last night I watched Justin Lee Collins trying to gather the cast of the original series for a reunion bash. Walter Koenig proving to be a good sport, Leonard Nimoy displaying a fine sense of humour, George Takei taking a back seat, Nichelle Nicolls still the sexiest communications officer you could possibly hope to talk to, and William Shatner still the self important star who wouldn't be seen dead on a non-profit gig.

I've watched the old Star Trek so many times. Also the wonderfully pompous Star Trek:New Generation. Deep Space Nine was more of a soap opera (though it had some of the best stories in between the Ferengi comedy) and Voyager a ghastly attempt to extract whatever Star Trek had left to say. Enterprise? On first sight I didn't like it. I must admit though, it has grown on me a little as it developed, and I like the portrayal of Archer as a determined gritty captain.

At the end of the day though these shows are entertainment. I'm not really into coventions and rubber foreheads, but to me this business of learning Klingon to while the time away seems very odd.

Personally I think the problem isn't about Star Trek being silly, but silly people taking it seriously in the first place.

At the end of the day though these shows are entertainment. I'm not really into coventions and rubber foreheads, but to me this business of learning Klingon to while the time away seems very odd.

Personally I think the problem isn't about Star Trek being silly, but silly people taking it seriously in the first place.

I know what you mean, I once found myself in a convention and the people were extremly odd: they wear ST uniform and in every word drop quotes from the various shows.

Hahahaha!

For those unfamiliar with Voltaire (the goth musician -- not the dead philosopher), here's Voltaire singing his own Trek song (as Captain Kirk)...

"The USS Make-Shit-Up"

-- Nephele

Hahahaha!

For those unfamiliar with Voltaire (the goth musician -- not the dead philosopher), here's Voltaire singing his own Trek song (as Captain Kirk)...

"The USS Make-Shit-Up"

-- Nephele

Nice pictures Neph, but really, you have no taste in music whatsoever, I'm sorry to say. That's not goth at all, you know : that is fifties protest song. The only thing worse than hip hop and rap. That is Pete Seeger himself that, Lord save us !

All this stuff belongs in the truly diabolical thread, really.

F :huh: rmosus

That's not goth at all, you know : that is fifties protest song. The only thing worse than hip hop and rap.

Anyone who has seen Voltaire perform live, knows that Voltaire is so goth, he shits bats. But he's also a Trek fan.

Here's "the only thing worse" -- for you. Voltaire singing Klingon rap:

Worf's Revenge

-- Nephele