UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Crucifixion and Roman punishment

Depictions of Bacchus on a cross, however, are sometimes found, dating from the 2nd century. They even show the very familiar 'slump' of the knees to one side, seen so often in later crucifixes. (yes, I can provide references and pictures if required).

Please do. I never heard about this before.

Please look here, Kosmo. The website in the link shows a plaster cast of a crucified figure with the names Orpheus and Bacchus clearly inscribed in greek. http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9856

and: http://www.vexen.co.uk/books/jesusmysteries.html

Thank you!

I agree there's plenty of evidence on potential multiple synchretism for the early Roman Empire, Christianity included.

However, the same as Kosmo, this is news to me.

I'm aware that Dionysius (or at least one of his avatars) was ripped in pieces by the Titans; never heard anything on crucifixion.

Probably I missed something; but I suppose the plaster cast is not by itself considered an evidence, even with such clear Greek inscription with the name of two divinities (why are both there?)

This image is already available in en.wikipedia as "Dionysus Crucifixion.gif" (why can't it be Orpheus?). Strangely, it is not linked to any text page.

Where was the original piece found? How was it dated to the 2nd Century? Are there more of them? Any additional information?

Plainly, how do we know it's not just a forgery?

Thanks in advance for any reference and information,

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic