UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

In the middle of a orgy of Nature-worshipping

Viggen

Petronella Wyatt writes at the Daily Mail about the recent trend the british seem to endulge, moving out of the city into the country side...

Crime-ridden. Crushingly dull. Intellectually backward. Is there ANYTHING good about the countryside? A new report, State Of The Countryside 2008, reveals that an increasing number of middle-aged and young people are moving away from cities to the country, to enjoy what they believe to be a bucolic idyll, to bring up their children away from the dangers and temptations of urban areas....

Much of Nature, until moulded by the artifice of man, is not a very pretty sight - it consists of a great deal of weeds, mud and cow pats.

As for romance, the country can kill passion quicker than a pair of rattling false teeth. My first crush sat me on a grassy mound, while attempting a passionate embrace. Alas, we were next to a bed of nettles. Needless to say, it was not my heart that was stung...

What is wrong with cities, for goodness sake? There are better flowers and vegetables to be found in Marks & Spencer.

Do not forget that the word civilised comes from the Latin civilis, which means civic, pertaining to a city...

...read the full article at the Daily Mail

LOL, I like her article... Is she right that we tend to romantizes the country life style, especially now that we have the world wide financial crises?

cheers

viggen

To quote Lisa from the '60s American tv sitcom, Green Acres theme song...

Nuuuuuu York is where I'd rather stay!

I get allergic smelling hay!

I just adore a penthouse view...

Darling, I love you,

But give me Park Avenue!

ztheme2.jpg

My man, on the other hand, is more of a rural Long Island Oliver.

ztheme5.jpg

"Fresh air!"

-- Nephele

I hate cities with a passion, and in the next few years am going to do my level best to get away from them. Frankly, I rather risk the occasional sting of the bee than the crime, crowding, noise and pollution of most cities of the world. Cities are unnatural, filthy places where disease of mind and body breeds. Don't believe me? Visit Rome, and you will be a new believer! I don't think it has changed much since Augustus' day.

The British countryside has a popular image of peaceful and idyllic pace of life. What the townies discover all too quickly is the locals have to live off the land their and spread smelly stuff over their fields, populate them with noisy tractors and animals, fill the roads with slow moving harvesters, and there always seems to be a busy airfield next door.

They're chasing a myth about the good life. generally speaking, these people get quite uptight that their fantasies are untrue and spend a lot of time trying to close it for business so they can sleep in the mornings.

Cities like York, Edinburgh and Paris can be beautiful places. Conurbs like Sheffield, the Ruhr valley and Los Angeles are hideous.

The highlands of Scotland and the Italian lakes are beautiful; rapeseed plantations in Norfolk, and endless wheat in Canada dull and featureless.

Cities like York, Edinburgh and Paris can be beautiful places. Conurbs like Sheffield, the Ruhr valley and Los Angeles are hideous.

The highlands of Scotland and the Italian lakes are beautiful; rapeseed plantations in Norfolk, and endless wheat in Canada dull and featureless.

Ah there's the correct balance post. :P