UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AEGYPTUS

Roman Empire between c.509BCE-c.14CE

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers on what to focus on in planning an essay. The question is as follows:

Describe the main stages in the growth of Rome from a small city state c.509BC into a great empire c.AD14.

So as you can see there are a lot of sources for this period however I'm unsure as to where i should start. I was planning on focusing on the campaigns that lead to territorial expansion for Rome. So I was planning on mentioning the following wars in my essay. The Latin Wars, The Samnite Wars (all three), The First and Second Punic Wars, The Macedonian Wars (all three), The Mithridatic Wars, Caesars campaigns in Gaul and Britain, Octavian war against Antony and Cleopatra, Campaign against the Cantabri 26-19BC, Alpine Campaigns 25-8BC, African Campaigns 25BC and the Illyrian Campaigns 6-9AD. Basically I would like to know what i should include, exclude or add to the list of thing I should address... any input would be much appreciated. As I'm really at a loss as to where I should start as it quite a broad question at least for someone with my limited experience! Thanks in advance!!!

AEGYPTUS

P.S. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Just really need some advice!

Edited by AEGYPTUS

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers on what to focus on in planning an essay. The question is as follows:

Describe the main stages in the growth of Rome from a small city state c.509BC into a great empire c.AD14.

So as you can see there are a lot of sources for this period however I'm unsure as to where i should start. I was planning on focusing on the campaigns that lead to territorial expansion for Rome. So I was planning on mentioning the following wars in my essay. The Latin Wars, The Samnite Wars (all three), The First and Second Punic Wars, The Macedonian Wars (all three), The Mithridatic Wars, Caesars campaigns in Gaul and Britain, Octavian war against Antony and Cleopatra, Campaign against the Cantabri 26-19BC, Alpine Campaigns 25-8BC, African Campaigns 25BC and the Illyrian Campaigns 6-9AD. Basically I would like to know what i should include, exclude or add to the list of thing I should address... any input would be much appreciated. As I'm really at a loss as to where I should start as it quite a broad question at least for someone with my limited experience! Thanks in advance!!!

AEGYPTUS

P.S. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Just really need some advice!

I would include the Pyrrhic War. This was the first point at which Rome had been tested by a modern Hellenic army and a general of great repute. Whereas previously, Rome was thought of as insignificant and even barbarous by the Greeks, the victory against Pyrrhus put her on to the world stage as well as all but completing her control of Italy south of the Po. The Pyrrhic War was the proving ground of the legions and the first major test of Roman ternacity.

Even as I'm not convinced by the approach, wars are but one part in the expansion of Rome, I feel that you should probably mention Marius campaigns if you want to focus on the military expansion.

And remember that many of the early wars are legendary and not historical (As the first Samnite war) and thus has no territorial consequences.

Edited by Klingan

I would suggest divide the years to four eras:

* Early Republic from 509 BC to 287 BC

* Middle Republic from 287 to 133 BC

* Late Republic from 133 BC to 49 BC

* Civil Wars and the Augustan Age from 49 BC to 14 AD

I think it's important not only to examine the foreign challenge faced by Rome but also the social condition inside the Roman society and how they influence foreign policy.

If I were you I would have chosen a more narrow subject, your current one is just too big.

Even as I'm not convinced by the approach, wars are but one part in the expansion of Rome, I feel that you should probably mention Marius campaigns if you want to focus on the military expansion.

And remember that many of the early wars are legendary and not historical (As the first Samnite war) and thus has no territorial consequences.

Very good point I guess my focus is rather narrow the problem is i have a word cap on the essay (no more than four pages) so I'm kind of tight for space lol :). Would you have any other suggestions for areas i could discuss other than military expansion that would be relevant to essay?

Thanks to everyone for their input so far! :P It will be taken to heart!

Edited by AEGYPTUS

Very good point I guess my focus is rather narrow the problem is i have a word cap on the essay (no more than four pages) so I'm kind of tight for space lol :). Would you have any other suggestions for areas i could discuss other than military expansion that would be relevant to essay?

Thanks to everyone for their input so far! :P It will be taken to heart!

Out of curiosity, what's the cap? Margins and line spacing makes all the difference in the world. Anyway I would say that Augustus campaigns after the defeat of Marcus Antonius and Cleopatra are rather insignificant compared to the other wars you have mentioner. However, you should probably mention Caesar and the civil wars however, and possibly the aftermath when he was cleansing the empire of Pompeian supporters.

Would it be possible to read your paper when it's done?

Edited by Klingan

I'm not sure what the exact word cap is... just aware that there is one for this assignment! Will find out though. The only reason i thought of including Augustus campaigns was because quite a few of the ones mentioned above lead to the creation of new provinces, so I thought it would be worth including lol :)... Again thanks for all the help!

I'm still not sure why would any UNRV member, with the limited experience of 3 years and more than 100 posts, require any advice for filling up four pages with more than five centuries of Roman History. Are there any additional requirements involved?

In any case, it seems that "War", "Campaign", "Territorial expansion" and "Creation of New Provinces" may be the key words for your essay. No doubt you're well aware of UNRV resources; I would begin by searching such key words either in the "Military" or in the "Roman History" folders; there you will probably find as many pointers as you need.

Edited by sylla

I'm still not sure why would any UNRV member, with the limited experience of 3 years and more than 100 posts, require any advice for filling up four pages with more than five centuries of Roman History. Are there any additional requirements involved?

In any case, it seems that "War", "Campaign", "Territorial expansion" and "Creation of New Provinces" may be the key words for your essay. No doubt you're well aware of UNRV resources; I would begin by searching such key words either in the "Military" or in the "Roman History" folders; there you will probably find as many pointers as you need.

No there are no additional requirements to my knowledge. Thanks for the input Sylla... Will look at the sources, I wasn't aware of them actually :)

Edited by AEGYPTUS