UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Long Live Latin!

Iulius

Do you think that it would be possible for latin to be spoken again as a national language?

It would be hard but i believe it would be possible. you would need a lot of dedicated people who would have children and the children would be brought up in a latin speaking enviroment.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Is Latin to be a national language but not replace any existing language? What do you mean exactly?

In any event, educated people and classics geeks will always cherish Latin, but I don't see it spreading on a popular level. Most of the average Americans I know can barely speak proper English, let alone Latin. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow a modernize version of Latin! That's great. I love latin and I would love to see it revived. I plan on teaching as much of it as possible to my children (when I have them :)). I'm all for a Latin resurgance. I'm going to be tutoring some people in Latin starting in January. Anyone know of some helpful resources? They will be learning from the Ecce Romani series. I have the teacher suppliments for the series along with my own copy of Wheelock. Is there anything else I should get? I have a dictionary but I probably should get a new one.

Hmm, well i have the belief that Latin is an efficient language, usually when i see translations between Latin and English the Latin sentence has a few less words than the English one does. Latin also sounds very cool, its a shame its so hard to learn! :thumbsup: I attempted to teach myself and only failed. :)