UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Female Gladiators in Archaeology and Re-enactment

Viggen

Fair enough, although I did mean the comedy aspect. It wasn't a 'fight' in the same way as professional bouts at all. The reason I mentioned that was the hope you would react in a certain way (I nearly achieved that - thanks for the reference anyway :D ). You see, professional fighters such as existed from the Principate onward must have had a great deal of pride in what they did - there is of course the mention that "Gladiators love nothing more than to provide pleasure to their owners" by fighting well and in an entertaining manner. I was wondering if any of that attitude had worn off onto you. The difference of course is that you're not owned by anyone ( I hope not anyway!) which provides a difference before we begin the comparison of mindset, and that you perform for public display as opposed to actually fighting to the death. In one respect you have something very much in common with those arena contestants two thousand years ago - you are performing these mock fights for public entertainment.

It's very easy to get wrapped up in the violent aspects of this, and to my eyes at least, hugely disturbing that people would flock to watch two individuals fight for real, but the thrill of watching a sword fight taking place must have have been palpable and the entire reason for gladiatorial popularity. I wonder - how does the modern audience react to your displays?

Like all reenactment groups (no matter if Romans, Vikings, Medieval Knights etc.) we fight of course with blunt weapons. Our fights are not choreographed but free fights and either you pretend dying when you get hit at a lethal point or you give up when you receive a hit at a point which would injure you seriously with a sharp weapon. Mock fights would be for me fights which make fun out of the thing. This we do not.

The audience reacts positively to our displays as they are not mere fighting but also information on gladiators. Our next gig will be at Europ

Like all reenactment groups (no matter if Romans, Vikings, Medieval Knights etc.) we fight of course with blunt weapons. Our fights are not choreographed but free fights and either you pretend dying when you get hit at a lethal point or you give up when you receive a hit at a point which would injure you seriously with a sharp weapon. Mock fights would be for me fights which make fun out of the thing. This we do not.
Are you aware of any people actually injured while performing this kind of reenactments? Edited by sylla

Are you aware of any people actually injured while performing this kind of reenactments?

When I used to do Anglo Norman / Crusader period, we frequently received injuries. My best was a pressure cut to the eyebrow which required sutures!

There is a 'gladiator school' operating somewhere, and I understand that most people who take part are naturally cautious , blunt weapons notwithstanding. Except the Germans. They 'really go for it' apparently. You have been warned.

As with all kinds of Martial Arts, fighting with swords or other type of weapons bears the risk of getting injured. But that's why you have to practise regularly in order to minimize that risk, also to wear protection such as helmets, manicae and not to go for the head esp. when you comrade does not wear a helmet such as our retiarius. We are very cautious about that and for any newbie it is important to get manica and helmet as soon as possible in order to receive a proper training.

I never got seriously injured neither by practising gladiatura nor by my Chinese Martial Art Wing Tsun, only bruises which are normal. But I got a partially torn ligament when running after a ball during a soccer training at school (neither ball nor leg nearby) and ruptures of muscle fibers when doing jogging as warm up before a training session.

As with all kinds of Martial Arts, fighting with swords or other type of weapons bears the risk of getting injured. But that's why you have to practise regularly in order to minimize that risk, also to wear protection such as helmets, manicae and not to go for the head esp. when you comrade does not wear a helmet such as our retiarius. We are very cautious about that and for any newbie it is important to get manica and helmet as soon as possible in order to receive a proper training.

I never got seriously injured neither by practising gladiatura nor by my Chinese Martial Art Wing Tsun, only bruises which are normal. But I got a partially torn ligament when running after a ball during a soccer training at school (neither ball nor leg nearby) and ruptures of muscle fibers when doing jogging as warm up before a training session.

It seems that you require more gladiatura and less warming.

• 3 weeks later...
There is a 'gladiator school' operating somewhere, and I understand that most people who take part are naturally cautious , blunt weapons notwithstanding. Except the Germans. They 'really go for it' apparently. You have been warned.

Do you happen to know where the "Gladiator School" is operating out of and if they have a website to check out? I would love to further my training and skills through an actual school that is designed and set up for just Gladiator/Gladiatrix training.

Watch out, Im German.....! (laughs)

• 2 weeks later...