UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Northern Neil

Least favourite subject

I am interested in hearing what least interests our members. I have realised that there are certain subjects I subconsciously avoid on this forum. Here they are, and my reasons:

1) Gladiators. I don't know why, I just find the whole subject uninteresting. All the more puzzling because I love amphitheatres. Maybe it is the populist nature of the subject that leaves me cold.

2) The Army (Late Republican and Principate) probably because I 'did it to death' for many years.

3) Personalities of the late republic and Early Empire. Give me the book 'From the Gracchi to Nero' and it will be left unread in my bookcase. In fact, someone did, and it has! I extend my disinterest up to and including Marcus Aurelius. I dont dislike the characters from this period, I just dont find them interesting enough to write or debate about. Again, I dont know why. That said, I loved Grave's Claudius novels.

So, lets here it from the rest of you!

* Discussions of pre-industrial military tactics, especially if they involve extreme speculation or hypothetical scenarios. Notice how much I comment in the legion folder? Almost never.

* Philosophy. Bores the hell out of me. Marcus Aurelius put me to sleep.

- National pride discussions from anyone that may consider his/her country (or group) as the true and only heir of ancient Rome.

- Argumentations that try to prove or disprove the existence and/or divine nature of any deity (they are funny, but in other Fora).

- Any self-conscious fallacy that pretends to survive forever on sheer force.

* Geography - I just find almost all discussion about borders and administrative division to be extremly boring and in my view not that important.

I think Neil was referring to our 'least fave' topics within Roman history.

That being said, mine are:

1) Gladiators and all Roman games (with the one exception of Chariot-racing - quite like that one!) - So I'm in agreement with Neil here

2) Again, rather like Neil, I can't say I'm too interested in the men in red skirts and leather...

3) Romano-British history - to be brutally frank.

4) The Empire after the Severans - it all seems very grey to me... :)

Being that the case, IMHO there are no boring topics, just boring posters.

All that said, my 'least fave' topic should be Roman (cibernetic) games; just personal taste, I guess.

Edited by sylla

3) Romano-British history - to be brutally frank.

I agree. Caesar's invasion interests me, but beyond that it doesn't really do anything for me.

The Late Republic/Civil Wars/Julio-Claudian period it's starting to bore me. It was interesting for some time but it is only a part of roman history and it's getting the lion share of topics.

I find now 250-650 AD much more interesting.

Topics that focus on cat pee odor.

-- Nephele