UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wotheGele

Need help!! How do you remove cat pee odor?

Guest wotheGele

Sorry this might be off topic.

My cat is getting old and peeing everywhere. grrrr!

I need to remove cat pee odor from a carpet. Does anyone no a good product or household remedy to remove cat pee from carpet?

thanks in advance.

charlie

I'll answer you seriously, Charlie, even if these jokers won't :) Who let this Formosus on the Forum? (Only joking, Formosus - you're a breath of fresh air).

Well, Charlie, you just have to scrub. Plenty of hot water and use a normal household cleaner like Flash, perhaps with a tiny, tiny drop of bleach too, or an antibacterial like Dettol. After that, when dry, spray with Febreeze or some other odour buster.

You haven't said, however, if your cat is male or female and whether or not he/she is spayed or neutred. If you are living with an entire Tom cat (unneutred male) then you have a big problem. But I guess if your cat is old you are being treated to that ammonia-type smell. It will go eventually if you scrub and spray. But a visit to the vet is in order too. Pussums do not wee indiscriminately unless they are poorly pussums and unable to control their bladders. Get your cat checked out for any signs of kidney failure, because peeing all over the house is, I'm afraid, one of the early warning signs. Good luck.

(As for Ursus - he should know better than to poke fun, and should be setting an example to all new members. I think I might complain. :) )

Edited by The Augusta

I'll answer you seriously, Charlie, even if these jokers won't :) Who let this Formosus on the Forum? (Only joking, Formosus - you're a breath of fresh air).

Well, Charlie, you just have to scrub. Plenty of hot water and use a normal household cleaner like Flash, perhaps with a tiny, tiny drop of bleach too, or an antibacterial like Dettol. After that, when dry, spray with Febreeze or some other odour buster.

You haven't said, however, if your cat is male or female and whether or not he/she is spayed or neutred. If you are living with an entire Tom cat (unneutred male) then you have a big problem. But I guess if your cat is old you are being treated to that ammonia-type smell. It will go eventually if you scrub and spray. But a visit to the vet is in order too. Pussums do not wee indiscriminately unless they are poorly pussums and unable to control their bladders. Get your cat checked out for any signs of kidney failure, because peeing all over the house is, I'm afraid, one of the early warning signs. Good luck.

(As for Ursus - he should know better than to poke fun, and should be setting an example to all new members. I think I might complain. :) )

Wow, your feline expertise is really high level... you might have 1% odds of spotting that tiger, after all.

another way.

1.sprinkle cornstarch on the spot let and put a damp paper towel over it. let dry and then vacuum.

2. sprinkle with baking soda and let dry.. and vacuum.

if its really bad.. sprinkle both..

and you can use cornstarch and baking soda just to regularly freshen carpets and soft furniture. you just vacuum it after about 15 minutes at least. but you will also have to occassionally get your vacuum cleaned because these are both powdery.

and these are animal friendly

cornstarch cleans and and baking soda does too and and baking soda can deordorize too.

also there is an air freshner called AirSponge(in canada at least). you can get the spray and also a container with a sponge. it is recogonized as animal (both cats and their human pets) friendly the Asthma society of Canada.

it works too. (and cats can have asthma too, it sounds like they are coughing up their lungs).

Ahhh... I suspect I know who wothegele is. Prior to working this out, I would have suggested that a .177 air pistol would have been a quick, efficient cure for this entertaining cunundrum. However, on reflection I do believe I may know said feline, and believe that the world is a more interesting place whilst he/she is still around.

Once the feline emergency has been solved (I hope), the obligatory classical trivia;

According to RC Bansal and M Goyan, the students of Hippocrates (and even the Egyptians from the Middle Empire) used charcoal dust to remove unpleasant smells, specifically for wounds (sadly, that would hardly deter the expected gas gangrene).

also there is an air freshner called AirSponge(in canada at least). you can get the spray and also a container with a sponge. it is recogonized as animal (both cats and their human pets) friendly the Asthma society of Canada.

it works too. (and cats can have asthma too, it sounds like they are coughing up their lungs).

Hello Artimi,

Maybe you could help me out too ? You see, I have one of those humans as a pet as well. It's my kittens' fault, really. They kept pestering me, leaving me no peace whatsoever : 'Mom, can we have a human, please, to play with ? Mom ?' You know how they are. So, on their 10th weekday I gave in and got them one of those humans. It's a male. And maybe that was a mistake, because he's a terrible burden really. You see, he does use the toilet, but often as not his aim isn't quite what it should be. And then he leaves the seat up usually and sometimes forgets to flush even ! Horrible !

I have thought already of bringing him to the asylum. Maybe someone else will have him ? But if not, they'll probably put him down. I'm not sure if that is a feline thing to do. What's your opinion ?

taktiK B)

Once you have scrubbed it and let it dry, you should put baking soda on the affected area - it absorbed the smell, you see - and they hoover it up. If this is not effective the first time, repeat the process, but mop it up with a little bit of malt vinegar on a sponge; this not only creates a chemical reaction, but it also cleans the carpet. You must make sure that the carpet/affected area is completely dry before applying the baking soda. This process can also be used (believe me) for cleaning up vomit.

Tip: Putting baking soda at the bottom of a bin will also absorb any odours excess 'bin juice'.

WotWotius the Domestic Goddess.

Spambots make for good conversation I guess. :P

Nooooo, you ruined it! B)

:P

Actually, a little birdy told me that I'm quite wrong and that no spambots have been harmed in the making of this thread. This topic seemingly has dark and mysterious domestic roots.

Fear the unknown!

...and now back to your regularly scheduled tangent into cat urine :P ...