UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Spectacular Gladiator's Helmet from New Melbourne Exhibit

Ludovicus

Three high quality images of a gladiator's helmet from the Melbourne exhibit from today's Italian "Repubblica" newspaper:

http://www.repubblica.it/2006/05/gallerie/...elbourne/1.html

Just click on "successivo" for the next photo. There are three in all.

It's a nice piece no doubt. The Italians have been increasingly generous when it comes to foreign exhibitions lately.

It's a nice piece no doubt. The Italians have been increasingly generous when it comes to foreign exhibitions lately.

At the exhibition "Luxus & Dekadenz" which was in December 2007 in Bremen, Germany they also showed a murmillo helmet but one of the type without decoration, together with a pair of thraex/hoplomachus greaves and the gladiator daggers used by retiarii or hoplomachi as secondary weapons. It's really nice to see these things you know from pictures in books in real. So far I didn't make it to the National Museum in Naples though I had been twice on a day trip to Pompeii.

Those pictures from that murmillo helmet made be drool - BTW the little text beneath the first photo was a good practise for my Italian.

At the exhibition "Luxus & Dekadenz" which was in December 2007 in Bremen, Germany they also showed a murmillo helmet but one of the type without decoration, together with a pair of thraex/hoplomachus greaves and the gladiator daggers used by retiarii or hoplomachi as secondary weapons. It's really nice to see these things you know from pictures in books in real. So far I didn't make it to the National Museum in Naples though I had been twice on a day trip to Pompeii.

Those pictures from that murmillo helmet made be drool - BTW the little text beneath the first photo was a good practise for my Italian.

I've got quite a few pictures from the national museum in Naples if you're interested as I've visited it twice this year.

Anyway on the topic of pieces leaving Italy and exhibitions - H

I've got quite a few pictures from the national museum in Naples if you're interested as I've visited it twice this year.

Anyway on the topic of pieces leaving Italy and exhibitions - H