UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Emperor's Entourage

Windyrdg

Hi There:

I'm an author producing a novel set in first century Rome, specifically during Nero's rule. I was wondering if anyone knows a source for the personal servants the Emperors typically had. For instance, Barber, Wine Taster, Massuer, etc. Seems like I've seen a list like this somewhere in the past, but can't locate it.

ps. It doesn't have to be Nero. Anything about any Emperor would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

It's obvious that the emperor had the various slave staff that was in every rich house. there were some freedmen who were employed in an administrative positions and in the early years there was alot of importand to the praetorian prefect Burrus and Nero tutor Seneca. if you want to know more read Tacitus' Annals and Suetonius' life of Nero.

And if you write a novel about Nero you have to include Petronius!

"Petronius calls for a brief retrospect. He was a man whose day was passed in sleep, his nights in the social duties and amenities of life: others industry may raise to greatness

Hello Windyrdg,

And if you write a novel about Nero you have to include Petronius!

Not quite to do with Imperial servants as such, but I very much agree with that.

In case you don't know about that already :

Not counting the bits and pieces of Caesar and Livy I had to translate at school, Petronius was the first classical author I really read as such. He certainly got my interest in Rome going. And shortly afterwards there was Fellini's movie adaptation, 'Satyricon'.

I think that until the mid 60s Petronius' work was as good as unknown to all but a few scholars, maybe. Then, keeping in spirit with the times, it made a sudden revival and I think it was even popular for a while with a wider public. Hence Fellini's 1969 movie.

I haven't reread the book or seen the movie since, so it's all ages ago.

But there are quite a few clips of it on youtube. It looks a bit 60s here and there now, and very much Fellini. It's more an artistic impression than an attempt at historical accuracy. Still, I think it's much better than far most historical movies about the period made before or since.

You might find some inspiration there.

Satyricon - trailer

Satyricon - excerpt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satyricon_(film)

Formosus

Hi There:

I'm an author producing a novel set in first century Rome, specifically during Nero's rule. I was wondering if anyone knows a source for the personal servants the Emperors typically had. For instance, Barber, Wine Taster, Massuer, etc. Seems like I've seen a list like this somewhere in the past, but can't locate it.

ps. It doesn't have to be Nero. Anything about any Emperor would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

The article on Roman slaves (servus) of the William Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman antiquities may be useful for your purpose, particularly the last pages.

Check out this book for comprehensive lists of slaves identified by their specific duties, with their Latin titles:

Roman Antiquities: Or an Account of Manners and Customs of the Romans

You can download this entire book for free, and you will find the lists of various slave titles on pages 29 through 32. List III.2, on page 30, gives the Latin titles of the personal attendants.

-- Nephele