UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Gladius Hispaniensis

Regarding Roman shaving habits

Ave

It seems that one of the things that irked Cato the Censor about Scipio Africanus was, among his other "Hellenisms", his habit of shaving his jowls very close. I read this in a Michael Grant book. Does that mean beards and stubbles were actually fashionable in the early Republic? Does anyone know? Thanks.

Yes it's seem that in the republic it's was not customary to grow beards.

"4. That it was an inherited custom of Publius Africanus and other distinguished men of his time to shave their beard and cheeks.

1 I found it stated in books which I read dealing with the life of Publius Scipio Africanus, that Publius Scipio, the son of Paulus, after he had celebrated a triumph because of his victory over the Carthaginians and had been censor, was accused before the people by Claudius Asellius, tribune of the commons, whom he had degraded from knighthood during his censorship; and that Scipio, although he was under accusation, neither ceased to shave his beard and to wear white raiment nor appeared in the usual garb of those under accusation. 2 But since it is certain that at that time Scipio was less than forty years old, I was surprised at the statement about shaving his beard. 3 I have learned, however, that in those same times the other nobles shaved their beards at that time of life, and that is why we see many busts of early men represented in that way, men who were not very old, but in middle life." (Aulus Gellius, Noctes Atticae, 3.4)

Edited by Ingsoc

The Romans in early times wore long hair and full beards, as did uncivilized peoples. Varro tells us that professional barbers first came to Rome in the year 300 B.C., but we know that the razor and shears were used by the Romans long before history begins. Pliny the Elder says that the Younger Scipio (died 129 B.C.) was the first Roman to shave every day, and the story may be true. People of wealth and position had the hair and beard kept in order by their own slaves; these slaves, if they were skillful barbers, brought high prices in the market. People of the middle class went to public barber shops, and gradually made them places of general resort for the idle and the gossiping. But in all periods the hair and beard were allowed was a sign of sorrow, and were the regular accompaniments of the mourning garb already mentioned. The very poor went usually unshaven and unshorn; this was the cheap and easy fashion.

Styles of wearing hair and beard varied with the years of the persons concerned and with the period. The hair of children, boys and girls alike, was allowed to grow long and hang around the neck and shoulders. When the boy assumed the togaof manhood, the long locks were cut off, sometimes with a good deal of formality, and under the Empire they were often made an offering to some deity.

In the classical period young men seem to have worn close-clipped beards; at least Cicero jeers at those who followed Catiline for wearing full beards, and on the other hand declares that their companions who could show no signs of beard on their faces were worse than effeminate. Mature men wore the hair cut short and the face shaved clean. Most of the portraits that have come down to us

show beardless men until well into the second century of our era, but after the time of Hadrian the full beard became fashionable.

(Taken from Johnston's Private Life of the Romans.)

Would it be reasonable to assume, then, that Africanus may have started a trend? Because the evidence from statues and busts shows a penchant for close shaving in the later Republic.

Would it be reasonable to assume, then, that Africanus may have started a trend? Because the evidence from statues and busts shows a penchant for close shaving in the later Republic.

I think it would be very reasonable to assume that Scipio started a trend. I'm sure there will have been other lesser known Romans who preferred the shaved style too but because Scipio was probably the most famous Roman of his time then I think it's pretty safe to say that people looked up to him and wanted to imitate his style. Scipio probably didn't do it to start a trend it was just a personal preference but as with fashion today however ridiculous something looks you can guarantee that within a couple of weeks you'll see people walking about the streets with the same hairstyle or out fit on and before you know it near enough every one's doing it.

Take David Beckham for instance, he's got to be one of the biggest fashion icons of our time, some of the styles he's had have at first looked a bit ridiculous and over the top but after a while you start to see it repeated everywhere. If Beckham likes it then it must be good, right????

Whether it be ancient times or modern, people will always want to be like their hero's.

I think it would be very reasonable to assume that Scipio started a trend. I'm sure there will have been other lesser known Romans who preferred the shaved style too but because Scipio was probably the most famous Roman of his time then I think it's pretty safe to say that people looked up to him and wanted to imitate his style. Scipio probably didn't do it to start a trend it was just a personal preference but as with fashion today however ridiculous something looks you can guarantee that within a couple of weeks you'll see people walking about the streets with the same hairstyle or out fit on and before you know it near enough every one's doing it.

Take David Beckham for instance, he's got to be one of the biggest fashion icons of our time, some of the styles he's had have at first looked a bit ridiculous and over the top but after a while you start to see it repeated everywhere. If Beckham likes it then it must be good, right????

Whether it be ancient times or modern, people will always want to be like their hero's.

Fabius Cunctator's purple mohawk never really caught on though ... B)

(Sorry, just couldn't resist the temptation. This being such a serious topic. I'll shave off my lambchop sideburns as a penance. )

F B) rmosus

Fabius Cunctator's purple mohawk never really caught on though ... B)

F B) rmosus

Neither did Caesar's handlebar moustache, didn't you know that Freddie Mercury modeled himself on an early picture of Gaius Julius Caesar!!! B)