UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Second Marcomannic War

I believe Scanderbeg that there were two extended conflicts with the marcomanni, but only have any real knowledge of one in the time of Marcus Aurelius. Can anyone elaborate ?

War on the Danube: The Marcomannic Wars 166-180 AD

166 Gothic tribes attack the Danube limes in two different areas, but the Romans hold them off.

167 Evidence suggests that there is a movement of the Gothic tribes due to an increase in population and the army set forth to find a new abode. This movement of the Goths forced the movements of the Marcomanni in AD 167-175 and 178-180.

168 The Marcomannic Wars begin because the Goths displace the Marcomanni into the Roman Empire (AD 167-175).

169 The Marcomannic Wars continue.

170 The Marcomannic Wars continue.

171 The Marcomannic Wars continue. The Cimbri attack the frontier in Dacia and are repelled by the Roman army.

172 The Marcomannic Wars continue and there is an internal movement of the Germanic tribes.

173 The Marcomannic Wars continue and there is an internal movement of the Germanic tribes.

174 The Marcomannic Wars continue and there is an internal movement of the Germanic tribes.

175 The Marcomannic Wars continue. Germanic movement is documented as stopping during the period of Marcus Aurelius, the limes hold but movement occurs in the East along the limes that stop around AD 175.

178 The Second Marcomannic War starts in AD 178 and continue until 180.

179 The Marcomannic Wars continue.

180 The Marcomannic Wars concludes and the Marcomanni are forced to return to Germania.

If you seen the movie Gladiator, the first war scene is supposedly the second marcomannic war.

Keep in mind its very difficult to differentiate between the entire Danubian campaigns as far as legionary attestments go... with that in mind

Legions involved including those already mentioned)..

II Italica

III Italica

I Adiutrix

II Adiutrix (supplemented by the African Legio III Augusta due to extreme losses)

X Gemina (against the Quadi)

XIV Gemina

Possible vexillations (subunits or detachments) involved...

XXII Primigenia (stationed on the Rhine at Mainz)

XXX Ulpia Victrix

I Minervia

I Italica

XV Apollinaris

Interestingly, Legio VIII Augusta from Germania Superior (well known for various building projects) is not attested as having been involved.

Against nearby Sarmatians at about the same time...

V Macedonia

XIII Gemina

Hi PP - could you tell me where you got this info - is it on UNRV somewhere ? Is there a listing of conflicts - legions involved ?

That would be great.

• 2 weeks later...