UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Peregrine Cities: An Overview Of Status And Rights

Spurius

At the start of the empire, and despite efforts toward uniformity of administration, most provincial cities could be divided into one of three types:

1) Those that paid a tribute to Rome (stipendium ) and were subject to the legal control of the provincial governor over all of their legal affairs. The majority of cities fell into this category.

2) Autonomous cities who ruled their affairs and judiciary apart from the control of the province and the provincial governor. This was usually a case of Rome granting this status to them

do we know the status of many of the cities of the Roman world? I'd love to be able to find a map that's color-coded with these.

If you are interested in particular cities, the entries in Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854), Edited by William Smith usually indicate what rights they held & when. There are a few places you can find that resource online.

Massilia is a great example of #3

If you are interested in particular cities, the entries in Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854), Edited by William Smith usually indicate what rights they held & when. There are a few places you can find that resource online.

Ummm--is that still in print?

It's about to be again and can be yours for $598! B)

It's about to be again and can be yours for $598! ;)

I think I'll stick to the version on perseus.tufts.edu.

B)

If it were available now it would probably be a wonderful compliment to the Barrington Atlas that we are relying heavily on to develop our wallmap update. The 'Smith Geography' may appear a bit expensive but if it is even half as good as Smith's Dictionary of Antiquities, it will probably be an invaluable investment.

The 'Smith Geography' may appear a bit expensive but if it is even half as good as Smith's Dictionary of Antiquities, it will probably be an invaluable investment.

It is of the exact same caliber. In fact, I've found it to be item for item vastly superior to Harry Thurston Peck's Harper's Dictionary of Classical Literature and Antiquities

Don't let the 1854 publishing date decieve you. It's not only the most thoroughly researched resource I've come across, the theories that they venture to speculate on certain unsolved issues are often more sound than many modern ones...

But to bring it back home, I apologize to Spurius in regards to steering his fine thread off topic.

Nothing wrong with a discussion of atlases and compendiums in a geography based thread. It's always good to find out about other source material I've never seen or used.

I hope to use the information on city status in a larger post following the political career of a famous roman. By getting it, and other posts I'm working on, in here I hope to show all of you what I do in my spare time to aid teachers and lecturerers with their students.

(all within this site of course, no hot linking to here or elsewhere Viggen :) )

• 1 month later...