UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

UnRoman Britain

Viggen

If you aren't trying to check references, don't mind images fairly randomly scattered through a book it is a good/ easy read.

I indicated my reservations in the review but should emphase it does have several worthwhile things to say, drawing together a lot of recent thinking into one place.

• 1 year later...

I saw this in a bookshop while Christmas shopping, I would have bought it then and there if I had the money. Definately going on my birthday list. I find the subject very interesting, as it seems many areas of Roman Britain, such as Cornwall and some parts of Devon as well as Dyfed in south Wales, show very little sign of Roman occupation. I had always understood that this was because the Romans were on good terms with the local tribes, but what if they never really bothered with those areas in the first place?

One thing I do find hard to believe is that Stuart Laycock has in another book brought up his hypothesis of inter-tribal rivalries bringing about the downfall of Roman Britain. I find this difficult to accept considering there is very little evidence of the tribes mentioned in Ptolemy's Geographica surviving into post-Roman or early medieval Britain, let alone that their hatred for each other simmered for 400 years during the Roman occupation of the island.