UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Hermes The Thief

An excellent review indeed , I was able to preview it a short while ago and am very pleased to be able to comment . The review is clear, incisive and direct: I bought the text on Pantagathus's recommendation, being an avid follower of all things related to the Deity of Boundaries. Pantagathus has said enough to hint at the intellectual rigour of this charming essay ( its not a large book) without giving away the diverting exploratory journey the reader will undertake.

Well done Pantagathus! Crosser of intellectual boundaries!

Thanks folks,

I own this book as well. Valuable for Hermes fans.

Ursus, did you see my concept Hermes shirts I posted in the gallery? ;)

Thanks folks,

I own this book as well. Valuable for Hermes fans.

Ursus, did you see my concept Hermes shirts I posted in the gallery? :D

Good review Pantagathus, thanks for posting it.

Good review Pantagathus, thanks for posting it.

Thanks Virgil,

Question for Ursus & Pertinax, what did you all think of the way Brown broke down the scene of Hermes sacricing the 2 cows to show that it was describing an Athenian rite?

Brown is most perceptive , his understanding of the original ceremony and the twelvefold division of the animals on the double altars to the original pantheon of gods is the heart of the thing, (in my opinion) . Im surprised that we have not had a marxist reduction of this particular scenario. His writing is quite convincing that Athens is the identifiable , physical seat of the cult, as he says its the only place that could have had such an interconnection.

(Anyone dipping into the work see Chapter 6)

Brown is most perceptive

It was a brilliant, masterful breakdown but once he said it, it seemed so obvious as to have me wondering why it took so long for someone to see the connection!

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire