UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Classical Compendium

Nephele

I just want to give everyone here a heads-up that UNRV member and classical scholar Maty has a new book out:

The Classical Compendium: A Miscellany of Scandalous Gossip, Bawdy Jokes, Peculiar Facts and Bad Behavior from the Ancient Greeks and Romans

41gJziluPUL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

If I can get my stuff together, I'll write up a more formal review. But for the meantime, I'll just say that this book is great fun and full of the sort of little facts and pieces of fascinating information that one might encounter at a lively dinner party for classicists -- or perhaps even pick up if one could time-travel back to ancient Rome and get oneself invited to a lavish banquet there where the gossip flows as freely as the wine.

You've done it again, Maty! Great book, and all hails to you!

-- Nephele

I think this will be the one Roman book I buy for myself this Saturnalia. Maty's books are always an entertaining and informative read for the "intelligent layman"crowd.

Ursus, if you're planning on getting this book, then I happily yield the UNRV review of it to you. I did a snapshot review of it for Amazon and AmazonUK, but I'd really like to see your own, more in-depth review of it here at UNRV.

-- Nephele

Ursus, if you're planning on getting this book, then I happily yield the UNRV review of it to you. I did a snapshot review of it for Amazon and AmazonUK, but I'd really like to see your own, more in-depth review of it here at UNRV.

-- Nephele

Okie dokie. I plan to read and review it some time before the year is out.

• 3 weeks later...
A review has been sent to Viggen for safekeeping.

...and here it is...

Need some light reading this holiday season? Want a good stocking stuffer to give to someone this Saturnalia? Consider The Classical Compendium by Philip Matyszak. As with all of Maty's books, it is an enjoyable yet informative read. This tome in particular seems to be geared as a "fun" event to be enjoyed by the more casual history student. The work surveys a variety of interesting trivia from the Roman and Greek worlds...

...read the full review of The Classical Compendium by Philip Matyszak

• 5 weeks later...

I can't believe that this has passed me by. How come I've never noticed it before? It looks exactly like the type of book I've been searching for for years. I read a a review to a similar sounding book (not by Maty) in British Archaeology Magazine about six years ago (about life, humour and anecdotes about Greek and Roman life). This sounds exactly like it - even - better. Nice review Ursus; this will be going on my Christmas list!