UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Anyone care to caption this one?

Anyone care to caption this one?

The painting is "The Romans Cause a Wall to be Built for the Protection of the South". The Centurion has been given the face of John Clayton, a 19th Century Antiquarian who was responsible for preserving much of the currently extant strectches of Hadrian's Wall.

Clayton_painting.jpg

"Curse your disapproving stares! I KNEW this skirt made me look fat!"

Is that my mobile?

Can I stay with you and watch the fight?

This pole besides me indicates that here is a bus station and is forbidden to have a picnic in a bus station.

Lady, here is roman reenactment, for "The Three Musketeers" audition you have to go over there.

Edited by Kosmo

Look, I don't care if it is your tea break - we are being attacked, so find your weapons and get fell in.

I had:

"Have I got something on my elbow?"

"Can I fish from here?"

" . . . and I'll be back in 1600 years to see how you got on . . . ."

OK - enough captions. Shall we pick fault with the technical detail? We like doing that sort of thing.

1. The presence of the woman on the left - and (as eluded to by Kosmo) don't get me started on what she's wearing.

2. Would legionary soldiers really be permitted to grow their hair and beard that long?

OK - enough captions. Shall we pick fault with the technical detail? We like doing that sort of thing.

1. The presence of the woman on the left - and (as eluded to by Kosmo) don't get me started on what she's wearing.

2. Would legionary soldiers really be permitted to grow their hair and beard that long?

Not having seen a full size version of this work I did wonder from what I could see if this Victorian 'gem' was alluding to the Britons having been acting as 'forced' labour to build the wall rather than it being built by the Roman military as is generally now believed happened.

It is possibly indicative that there does not appear to be either weapons or armour stacked about ready for the builders (wearing 'leather' trews) to put on. There does however seem to be some form of military 'guard' presence (white tunics and armour) in the background apparently fighting off attackers while the 'builders' lounge about or continue working on the wall.

• 4 weeks later...

Not that this is a "fault" or anything, but the manus standard being held by the Signifer in the painting puts me in mind of the Lindsey Davis novel I'm currently reading, The Iron Hand of Mars, in which Didius Falco has been commissioned by Emperor Vespasian to deliver a new standard