UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Caesar's Charger

Gaius Paulinus Maximus

This a bit of an odd one but.......

I've recently been reading The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius and there's a small paragraph in the section of the book about Caesar which talks of a horse that Caesar himself reared and was supposedly an extraordinary animal.

61. This charger of his, an exrtaordinary animal with feet that looked almost human - each of its hooves were cloven in five parts, resembling human toes - had been foaled on his private estate. When the soothsayers pronounced that its master would one day rule the world, Caesar carefully reared, and was the first to ride, the beast; nor would it allow anyone else to do so. Eventually he raised a statue to it before the Temple of Mother Venus.

Does anyone have anymore info on this horse (if it existed at all?), a name, a picture of the statue, anything along those lines. Was it in the same league as Alexanders' horse, Bucephalus??

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Notice that the horse is merely mentioned, not emphasised. Had the horse been as significant as alexanders steed then a name would have been provided and the beast mentioned throught his career.

They're pretty much the kind of answers i expected, i just found it a bit strange that the horse was mentioned but not even named, and i was sure that if Caesar had have had such an 'amazing' horse i would have at least heard mention of it before.

And yes PC you are right, Suetonius is a great storyteller!

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

• 3 weeks later...
I think that everyone is getting confused. The horse was not reared by Gaius Julius Caesar, but by Gaius Caesar, a.k.a. Caligula, and it was not his pet, but his son. :lol:

No we're not, how can someone get Caesar's cloven hoofed horse confused with the one and only Senator Incitatus?

Just another reason to discount Seutonius' 'eyewitness' accounts. Great storyteller though.

Except Suetonius didn't claim to be an eyewitness to the horse. We don't know where he got his information, do we? Yet another reason why it's important to check your sources--it's unchecked sources that really should be discounted (it's the source of urban legends).

Just another reason to discount Seutonius' 'eyewitness' accounts. Great storyteller though.

Except Suetonius didn't claim to be an eyewitness to the horse. We don't know where he got his information, do we? Yet another reason why it's important to check your sources--it's unchecked sources that really should be discounted (it's the source of urban legends).

Right. And that's why I had 'eyewitness' in quotes. Quite often he is taken literally as are the other "primary" sources. Surely, he had access to material that is unavailable to us and therefore his/their insight is invaluable but, they all had an agenda which in my book equates to a couple of levels above hogwash.

Right. And that's why I had 'eyewitness' in quotes. Quite often he is taken literally as are the other "primary" sources. Surely, he had access to material that is unavailable to us and therefore his/their insight is invaluable but, they all had an agenda which in my book equates to a couple of levels above hogwash.

:lol:

Trouble is we often read too much into what Suetonius wrote. The charger is mentioned as an interesting aside that illustrates Caesars unusual and superior character/aura/destiny. The romans were a superstitious lot and such a tale was an important factor in developing his story. For us, with more rational hindsight, it appears a couple of levels above hogwash. It probably was. He had a horse and let no-one else ride it. Witnesses tell that to others who ask why, and they are told hogwash to explain it. I mean, they wouldn't want to appear stupid would they?

Mind you, there does seem to be an element of envy and emulation in Caesar when Alexander enters into the tale.Was he consiously or unconciously attempting to be Julius Caesar the Great? In a way, he succeeded.

Why anything you like. Did it have human-like hooves or were they simply mis-shaped and gave a slight impression of toes? Did the witnesses tell porkies to sound clever down at the tavern? Did Suetonius believe that tale or did he make it all up?

We don't know. But omens were very important to romans and even if it wasn't true he needed an omen to suggest that Caesar was destined for an unusual life (perhaps 'riding on the backs of others'?)

Naughty boy Suetonius. But I forgive you because it made a good read. Which was why he wrote it in the first place.