UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Need Suggestions for Roman Building Project

So I have a project that involves me building a Roman building/structure. For something unique, I was thinking of Roman forts. So far, I'm thinking of Vindolanda or Eboracum[more ideas?] with Hadrian's wall[?]. If I shall build it, what is the best material and diagrams for building a small scale model?

Other suggestions also welcomed.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

So I have a project that involves me building a Roman building/structure. For something unique, I was thinking of Roman forts. So far, I'm thinking of Vindolanda or Eboracum[more ideas?] with Hadrian's wall[?]. If I shall build it, what is the best material and diagrams for building a small scale model?

What scale are you thinking of? Even in 6mm scale (1/300) Eburacum would be a considerable undertaking. I use foam board, picture framing card, plasticine and lots and lots of PVA. For things like mosaics and wall paintings, I scan images or make them on Coreldraw, then print them. This also works well for stonework in 6mm scale, although for larger scales stonework is best modelled or painted. I think one of the Hadrians wall forts/vindolanda would be a good idea, as there are also significant civilian settlements to model also. Have you seen my images on the gallery section? You might find the images of milecastles particularly interesting if you are considering doing a fort.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1475

Edited by Northern Neil

What scale are you thinking of? Even in 6mm scale (1/300) Eburacum would be a considerable undertaking. I use foam board, picture framing card, plasticine and lots and lots of PVA. For things like mosaics and wall paintings, I scan images or make them on Coreldraw, then print them. This also works well for stonework in 6mm scale, although for larger scales stonework is best modelled or painted. I think one of the Hadrians wall forts/vindolanda would be a good idea, as there are also significant civilian settlements to model also. Have you seen my images on the gallery section? You might find the images of milecastles particularly interesting if you are considering doing a fort.

I think Vindolanda, just only the fort disregarding the civilian vicus outside, is what I'll build. Though, I need to know if it is simple enough to build and how much time consuming. As for scale, something small so I won't struggle too much. As for supplies, I'm confused?

The milecastle pictured in the link (see my last edited post) took me about three days. It is made of foam board (this might have another name in the US) and thick picture framing card. Modelling clay or plasticine is used to get the profile of the ditch, and the interior stonework is from a photographic image of existing stonework on Hadrian's wall. If you like I can send you this image, and also a plan of Vindolanda. I suggest 6mm scale, as this seems to be the scale used with most reconstruction models of forts. The model will be about 500mm x 350mm. Such a model would probably take me about 48 man hours, or about two weeks if working several hours each evening.

The milecastle pictured in the link (see my last edited post) took me about three days. It is made of foam board (this might have another name in the US) and thick picture framing card. Modelling clay or plasticine is used to get the profile of the ditch, and the interior stonework is from a photographic image of existing stonework on Hadrian's wall. If you like I can send you this image, and also a plan of Vindolanda. I suggest 6mm scale, as this seems to be the scale used with most reconstruction models of forts. The model will be about 500mm x 350mm. Such a model would probably take me about 48 man hours, or about two weeks if working several hours each evening.

Thank You, I would very like so. Yes, I was thinking about milecastles also and it seems like a good choice. So please send me the details.

Thanks Northern Neil

I can send you a lot of useful information about your project, including plans, book references, photocopies etc. An 'average' milecastle was about 80 ft square. On the basis of this, what scale will you be modelling? The ones pictured in my gallery are 6mm (1/300) and 15mm (1/100 approx.) 15mm scale will be exciting, as you can use decent figures to garrison it. 6mm would be good because you could model substantial sections of wall and ditch either side of the milecastle. Hadrian's Wall AD 122 - 410 by Osprey would be an excellent book to work from, as the illustrations and plans are excellent. May I suggest from now on we post directly onto the forum as the information we are sharing will be of benefit to other members?

Northern Neil, do you know any materials I should buy in advance for the project, because I have a deadline in which I've got to show receipts for the purchased material. In addition, how should it take for the diagrams to arrive?

Thank You

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Northern Neil, do you know any materials I should buy in advance for the project, because I have a deadline in which I've got to show receipts for the purchased material. In addition, how should it take for the diagrams to arrive?

Thank You

WOW: telepathy! Just as you sent this post, I sent you a PM answering your query. The plans will be with you in a few days, and I have scaled them up to 15mm scale, so you can glue them to a base and build directly on them. Materials you can get are Foam board, picture framing card, modelling clay and PVA glue.

Gratias Tibi Multo Northern Neil! By the way, what size foam board and size framing card, or modelling clay? Can I also use tacky glue instead of regular glue?

When I buy foam board it is usually 5mm thick and comes in sheets 1metre x 1.5 metre. Picture framing card yuo can buy cheaply as offcuts in art shops. Tacky glue is OK, but it tends to form 'strings' which can spoil the appearance of your model.

• 3 weeks later...

Your model is looking good, and you seem to work very fast! Regards stonework, I use a 'building paper' made from a photograph of stonework from Hadrian's Wall itself. This works fine with 15mm and 6mm scales where not too much relief is required. 5zlz8tg.jpg

Copy the picture, and then import it to a word processor document. Then enlarge or shrink the image so that each stone block is about 1mm in size. You then have the correct stonework for 15mm scale. Because my initial photograph repeats itself in the sample, a little cutting and pasting is required to give the illusion of a continuing and non - repeating stone pattern. Good luck!!

Edited by Northern Neil