UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
  • The Gods of Ancient Rome

Viggen

Another book review has been submitted by forum member Ursus. Gods of Ancient Rome by Robert Turcan

There comes a point when any serious Romanophile has to study Roman religion outside of an elementary school mythology class. The Romans, after all, were a deeply pious people. Religion was not separated from everyday life, it was a constant in everyday life. Every communal activity had a religious aspect and every religious activity was aimed at some level of community. To reduce Roman religion to a mere carbon copy of Greek religion, as is often opined, or to treat Roman mythology as the childish delusions of a primitive people, is to ignore the religious genius of our cultural ancestors. Regardless of whether one or not sympathizes with Roman paganism, one should at least appreciate its place in religious history and its reflection of Roman mentality....

Edited by Viggen

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Man I like this comment and it was so fabulous and I am definetly going to bookmark it. I Have to say the Superb analysis this article has is greatly remarkable.No one goes that extra mile these days? Bravo!!! Just one more suggestion you caninstall a Translator for your Global Audience ...

I simply needed to thank you so much all over again. I do not know what I would've made to happen in the absence of these hints contributed by you concerning such concern. It truly was an absolute frustrating matter in my opinion, nevertheless considering this well-written form you solved it made me to weep over gladness. Now i'm happy for this information and in addition expect you are aware of a great job you have been putting in teaching the rest thru your website. I'm certain you've never come across any of us.

Welcome, I just read texts on your blog and I became interested in the topic. I like your blog and I am thinking whether I could use your entries in my work? Might it be possible? If yes, please write to me.Thanks.

I just could not depart your site before suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard info a person provide for your visitors? Is gonna be back often in order to check up on new posts