UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Centurion-Macro

Roman Fiction?

I was wondering if you guys could give me some names of Roman fiction books. I have already read...

the entire Eagle Series,

the entire Eagle of the 9th series,

I am now looking for more Roman fiction, I will take any of it, but preferably a Legionary story or something.

Thanks.

You might find the "Medicus " series of books by Ruth Downie to be interesting. The main character, for a Roman point of view, is Ruso who is a medical officer attached to a legion in Britania. He develops an unwanted affinity for solving mysteries.

Did you know the Romans had an effective treatment for the removal of cataracts?

Edited by Hieronymus Longinus Rufus

I can second Rufus' recommendation of Downie's books. I've read the first two, and greatly enjoyed them.

Dark North by Gillian Bradshaw - a snip at $2.65, 'cos unbelievably, it's out of print - is an excellent novel about 3rd C AD Britain, when Septimius Severus led the legions into Scotland.

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffmann is the gripping tale of the siege of Masada, told through the eyes of four women who were there. It's so well-written and evocative of the time.

It's been more than one year since I last updated my list of novels of the ancient world, so here's the 2012 version of what I do own and have read :

- Richard Blake "Aelric" serie : "Conspiracies of Rome", "The Terror of Constantinople", "The blood of Alexandria", "Sword of Damascus", "Ghosts of Athens" : A young british barbarian is sent to Rome for both education and security but finds himself hurled into the politics of the late 6th century AD... Then sent to Constantinople, he works his way to imperial favor and receives some of the most difficult tasks needed to keep the Empire secure. Writing from the safety of old age and a distant british monastry, he shall sometime see his retreat disturbed by global players trying to learn his secrets...

- Christian Cameron "Tyrant" serie : "Tyrant", "Storm of Arrow", "Funeral Games", "King of the Bosphorus" : greek mercenaries in the black sea area at the time of Alexander the Great, then the adventures of his children in the time of the Diadochoi while they try te get back their kingdom with the help of Ptolemy

- Christian Cameron : "Killer of men" and "Marathon" : the first greco-mede war

- Christian Cameron : "God of War" : a life of Alexander from the point of view of an elder Ptolemy

- David Anthony Durham : "Hannibal Pride of Carthage" : The second punic war seen from the carthaginian point of view

- Robert Fabri : "Vespasian : Tribune of Rome", "Vespasian : Rome's Executioner" : the youth of future emperor Vespasian during the reign of Tiberius (futures volumes to keep folowing his rise toward power under Caligula, Claudius and Nero)

- Robert Harris "Cicero's life" serie : "Imperium", Lustrum : Cicero and his time

- Robert Harris : Pompe

No Falco novels on that list, BH?

Nope, none (yet) :)After all this is only a small part of my personnal library (which is now around 1000 books). But I may one day come to this serie too...

We've probably got all of the Falco books somewhere in the house I just haven't had the time to seek out and read the latest ones.

BTW Before moving a few years back I got rid of a lot of my personal library which was then mainly assorted fiction and stretched to over 3,000 books. Unfortunately it has been building back up again with a heavier emphasis on academic books in various nooks and crannies all over the house. However I don't feel either strong enough or wish to try getting them all together and counting them again just to find out how bad our storage needs now are by numbers - let alone weight. :(

I suspect however what could be loosely termed 'Roman related' is now around at least 150-200 books if not more :unsure:

Nope, none (yet) :)After all this is only a small part of my personnal library (which is now around 1000 books). But I may one day come to this serie too...

We've probably got all of the Falco books somewhere in the house I just haven't had the time to seek out and read the latest ones.

BTW Before moving a few years back I got rid of a lot of my personal library which was then mainly assorted fiction and stretched to over 3,000 books. Unfortunately it has been building back up again with a heavier emphasis on academic books in various nooks and crannies all over the house. However I don't feel either strong enough or wish to try getting them all together and counting them again just to find out how bad our storage needs now are by numbers - let alone weight. :(/>

I suspect however what could be loosely termed 'Roman related' is now around at least 150-200 books if not more :unsure:/>

Hmm ... these days what a 'library' consists of is rather flexible. I've probably got a few thousand hardcovers and paperbacks, but the fastest-growing part of my 'library' is .pdf books and academic papers. Sites like downloebables mean that your browser can gulp down books by the dozen, and google offers things like Smith's dictionaries. There's also online magazines like Amphora that I download to brose through during commercial breaks on TV. My iPad is basically a digital library with email capability ...