UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Archaeologists unveil ancient auditorium in Rome

JGolomb

A few other news services are starting to pick up this story but so far I have only found one which 'may' possibly have an unattributed image of the excavations, the Euronews site at:

http://www.euronews.net/2009/10/22/ancient...vealed-in-rome/

It is possible that as they sort out the links to this news item on Google more articles will be searchable but at present (22/10/09 - 9:50am BST) despite 123 news articles being claimed only about 3 or 4 will actualy turn up and at least 2 of those currently only appear to have stock images of Roman ruins rather than of the excavations B)

A few other news services are starting to pick up this story but so far I have only found one which 'may' possibly have an unattributed image of the excavations, the Euronews site at:

http://www.euronews.net/2009/10/22/ancient...vealed-in-rome/

It is possible that as they sort out the links to this news item on Google more articles will be searchable but at present (22/10/09 - 9:50am BST) despite 123 news articles being claimed only about 3 or 4 will actualy turn up and at least 2 of those currently only appear to have stock images of Roman ruins rather than of the excavations B)

I just watched this video. I specifically remember scooting around the corner of this blocked off dig...across the street from the Vittorio memorial on once side, and diagonally across from the Trajan complex. It made an already deadly walk through the streets of Rome even deadlier. :-)

This all assumes that the video on your link is from the discovery.

After a cursory search of ancient roman maps, I wasn't able to find anything in that immediate area, but it makes sense considering the density of buildings and proximity to the forum.

J

After a cursory search of ancient roman maps,

Do you mean decades-old reconstruction maps of ancient Rome like http://catholic-resources.org/AncientRome/Platner.htm ?

From fuzzy memory of watching a DVD course in a distracting environment, I gather many such layouts have recently been flipped around on very latest maps. "Experiencing Rome: A Visual Exploration of Antiquity's Greatest Empire" keeps apologizing for showing showing 3D layouts in conflicting ways - some apparently based on that old model in EUR that we always see in TV documentaries, and some corrected diagrams by the course artist. I believe most changes are a reversal of forum orientations, putting the temples and entrances(?) on opposite sides than previously thought. http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=3430

After a cursory search of ancient roman maps,

Do you mean decades-old reconstruction maps of ancient Rome like http://catholic-resources.org/AncientRome/Platner.htm ?

From fuzzy memory of watching a DVD course in a distracting environment, I gather many such layouts have recently been flipped around on very latest maps. "Experiencing Rome: A Visual Exploration of Antiquity's Greatest Empire" keeps apologizing for showing showing 3D layouts in conflicting ways - some apparently based on that old model in EUR that we always see in TV documentaries, and some corrected diagrams by the course artist. I believe most changes are a reversal of forum orientations, putting the temples and entrances(?) on opposite sides than previously thought. http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=3430

Caesar - yep, that's the kind of map I saw. Very similar, actually. I'd assumed there wouldn't be anything specific to a Hadrian Athaeneum, but figured I'd take a peek in case the experts forgot to check that sort of thing. :-)

J

Here's a nice overview of archaeology v. construction in Rome as spotlighted by the recent discovery of what might be Hadrian's Athenaeum. It's a fun story and I'd recommend a full reading. I pulled some quotes below.

Hadrian's amphitheater is one discovery made while building Rome transit line.

As they dug through down through layers of modern, Renaissance and Medieval remains to the level of ancient Rome, they found what looked like a grand stairway made with sheets of granite and antique yellow marble. Across the way, the remains of a matching stairway -- the steps long, shallow and deep -- led archaeologists to the conclusion that they were looking at the seats of a covered rectangular amphitheater, a place where plays, speeches and debates were held by the city's poets, scholars and politicians.

Archaeologist Roberto Egidi, who directed the excavation, said research in texts by ancient sources suggests they have found the Emperor Hadrian's "Athenaeum" -- an auditorium ancient writers say he built at his own expense on his return from Palestine around A.D. 135.

Does anyone know what ancient sources are suggested?

While archaeologists fear destruction because of the Metro, they also acknowledge that the project has provided funding for their work, and the opportunity to excavate areas where they wouldn't normally have thought to look.

Roberto Cecchi, special commissioner for the Rome Metro, says that not even Romans realize how rich the ground under their feet is.

"They don't know that there is a whole other city, or rather two or three cities under modern Rome," he said at a recent conference. "Nowhere even in Italy is there such richness as there is in Rome. In Milan, archaeological remains are 10 to 12 feet deep; in Rome they can be more than 50 feet deep."

ap_rome_subway_091022_mn.jpg