UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Happy Battle of Milvian Bridge Anniversary Day!

JGolomb

From about.com:

On this day in A.D. 312, the Roman Emperor Constantine was victorious in battle for control of the Western Roman Empire against the Roman Emperor Maxentius. The battle is known as the Battle at the Milvian Bridge, a stone bridge across the Tiber River. Constantine is said to have had a vision the preceding night telling him that he would win under a certain sign that included the appearance of a cross set against the sun and certain words in Greek that translate into Latin as: in hoc signo vinces 'you will win under this sign.' This sign and the following victory are credited with convincing Constantine to convert to Christianity, which he did, but not immediately.

More from Wikipedia

If nothing else, Constantine was a great opportunist. How he got away with that stunt is beyond me, but it was a superstitious age.

Ah...that reminds me of this article/video I came across Monday. There's too much to distill in this message, but it spotlights some scientific explanations for Constantine's vision

Constantine's dream before the battle in 312

And here's what's probably a very informative video...in French...which I don't speak:

La vision de Constantin en 312

Go to about 1:35 of the video. Um, it's a bit of a stretch.

Edited by JGolomb

Ave

I read in another source that the vision he saw was of the Gallic Apollo near Autun. How much credence can be given to that over the Christian version?

From about.com:

On this day in A.D. 312, the Roman Emperor Constantine was victorious in battle for control of the Western Roman Empire against the Roman Emperor Maxentius. The battle is known as the Battle at the Milvian Bridge, a stone bridge across the Tiber River. Constantine is said to have had a vision the preceding night telling him that he would win under a certain sign that included the appearance of a cross set against the sun and certain words in Greek that translate into Latin as: in hoc signo vinces 'you will win under this sign.' This sign and the following victory are credited with convincing Constantine to convert to Christianity, which he did, but not immediately.

More from Wikipedia

Ah...that reminds me of this article/video I came across Monday. There's too much to distill in this message, but it spotlights some scientific explanations for Constantine's vision

Constantine's dream before the battle in 312

And here's what's probably a very informative video...in French...which I don't speak:

La vision de Constantin en 312

Go to about 1:35 of the video. Um, it's a bit of a stretch.

Latium antiquum a Tiberi Cerceios servatum est m. p. L longitudine: tam tenues primordio imperi fuere radices. colonis saepe mutatis tenuere alii aliis temporibus, Aborigenes, Pelasgi, Arcades, Siculi, Aurunci, Rutuli et ultra Cerceios Volsci, Osci, Ausones, unde nomen Lati processit ad Lirim amnem. in principio est Ostia colonia ab Romano rege deducta, oppidum Laurentum, lucus Iovis Indigetis, amnis Numicius, Ardea a Dana Edited by sylla