UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Terra Cotta Warriors of Xian, China

JGolomb

Terra Cotta Warriors: Guardians of China's First Emperor

All - I work at National Geographic in downtown Washington, DC. Our museum is the last stop on a tour of the Terra Cotta Warriors from Xian, China. I've not seen the exhibit yet (incredible security has locked the place down) but will be attending next weekend. If anyone from UNRV plans to attend the show, please let me know so we can meet up.

The link above is a review from the Washington Post. The official website is below. Word of mouth says it's an incredible display...the largest exhibit that National Geographic has hosted.

Buried for more than 2,000 years until their accidental discovery by Chinese farmers in 1974, the world-famous terra cotta warriors -- a life-size militia of about 7,000 clay figures created to protect China's first emperor in the afterlife -- have arrived in Washington. Well, 15 of the 1,000 or so that have been unearthed, along with more than 100 related artifacts from the grave site of Qin Shihuangdi (259-210 B.C.) in Shaanxi province.

On view through March 31 at the National Geographic Museum, the last stop on a four-city U.S. tour, "Terra Cotta Warriors: Guardians of China's First Emperor" is the first time this many of the figures have traveled to the States. What's more, according to museum director Susan Norton, museum-goers here will be able to get within a few feet of the warriors, far closer than even at the original archeological site, where visitors look down on the burial pits from a distance.

Here's the official website

PHO-09Nov16-188167.jpg