UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Lost City Found Under Caribbean

This is some great stuff. I can't find any pictures, but the quotes are a headline dream...

Explorers view lost city under Caribbean

HAVANNA, Cuba (7 Dec 2001) -- Explorers using a miniature submarine to probe the sea floor off the coast of Cuba said on Thursday they had confirmed the discovery of stone structures deep below the ocean surface that may have been built by an unknown human civilization thousands of years ago.

Researchers with a Canadian exploration company said they filmed over the summer ruins of a possible submerged ''lost city'' off the Guanahacabibes Peninsula on the Caribbean island's western tip. The researchers cautioned that they did not fully understand the nature of their find and planned to return in January for further analysis, the expedition leader said on Thursday.

The explorers said they believed the mysterious structures, discovered at the astounding depth of around 2,100 feet and laid out like an urban area, could have been built at least 6,000 years ago. That would be about 1,500 years earlier than the great Giza pyramids of Egypt.

Experts Reveal Secret Lost Caribbean City

Researchers have announced the discovery of a huge ancient city, lost beneath the Caribbean Sea. Yet despite possibly predating the pyramids at Giza, its finders insist their breakthrough is not the legendary city of Atlantis. Satellite images of the city - which is not the same as the underwater site off the coast of Cuba proposed by Russian experts in 2001 - appear to show a pyramid, platforms and ruined buildings. And the project's leader, who wishes to remain anonymous, is conviced they're no fluke of nature.

"We

This is some great stuff. I can't find any pictures, but the quotes are a headline dream...

Explorers view lost city under Caribbean

HAVANNA, Cuba (7 Dec 2001) "
Be careful; this old story seems to be absolutely nonsense and may well be entirely bogus.

I would tend to agree with Sylla here. IIRC this story also appeared on a very overblown 'search for Atlantis' type TV programme a few years back. After almost an hour of padding :P when you finally got to see the filmed 'evidence' it was a simple matter for most halfway competent geologists to quickly identify that the 'ancient cty' was probably the result of natural rock formations. ;)

Is there any available record of the January 2002 investigation?

This is strange...the second article I reference above was written just two days ago. I searched for related stories and obviously didn't read the timestamp carefully on the first one. The only other items I found seemed to wire-releases of the older story. So I wonder if the Heritage piece is actually new or a retread from the 2001 story.

Sorry about that. I'll make sure to read a little more closely.

Neil - no, I wasn't able to find anything else of interest. I was kind of figuring a few more stories would show up.

J

Is there any available record of the January 2002 investigation?

This is strange...the second article I reference above was written just two days ago. I searched for related stories and obviously didn't read the timestamp carefully on the first one. The only other items I found seemed to wire-releases of the older story. So I wonder if the Heritage piece is actually new or a retread from the 2001 story.

Sorry about that. I'll make sure to read a little more closely.

Neil - no, I wasn't able to find anything else of interest. I was kind of figuring a few more stories would show up.

J

Searching for the names of the team members involved I did turn up a couple of potentially interesting related stories; one that the (now) husband and wife team involved in the original discovery in 2002 and possibly as lat as 2004 seemed to have been seeking over a million dollars to 'complete' their research with no apparent takers. The second was that the wife has apparently just been released by the Mexicans after a 'claimed' fraud case against her (for IIRC) a security related firm she also owned had just collapsed.

Now OK maybe as was suggested, by a Canadian paper reporting the story, her involvement in the other company was totally legitimate and her prospective partners in Mexico (politically related and general fixers) may not exactly be seen as trustworthy but it does seem to indicate that the people involved in the original story sail fairly close to the wind in some of their business arrangements. :)

I can remember the find of a large 'city' off the coast of Japan, and there was tha guy who reckoned he'd found a lost city at the bottom of the Mediterranean, although in that last case there's a better possibility since the Med has dried out at least once in prehistory after the Straits of Gibraltar were blocked That said, a salt desert isn't a very good location for a large city.

We humans are designed to spot patterns. So we do. Rocks, holes, conspiracies, supernatural entities, vampires, werewolves, missing links, flying saucers, secret government projects, secret governments, or even just secrets - we spot them even when they ain't there and our inbuilt need for religion sometimes latches on to these things that no-one else knows.

I'm not discounting the Caribbean find - I haven't any info other than the report, and as archaeology tells us, the absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence - and I've always maintained that there must have been abortive societies older than the ones we generally recognise, such as the possibility of an African culture up to around 45,000 years ago. That doesn't mean they were sophisticated city states we tend to think of, and isn't odd that we always associate early civilisation with some sort of 'golden age' in which the 'ancients' achieved fantastic levels of attainment before they blew it?

Surely as we go back, the general level of sophistication must be lower, and the finds of extremely old temples in Turkey based on animal spirit worship demonstrate human intelligence and ambition to create is nothing new, just not quite as capable as the wilder theories tell us.

So I'm afraid Stonehenge has nothing to do with Egyptians, space aliens, grids of wierd energies, or Atlantean spacemen who needed a landmark to land on. Just so you know.