UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

We Found Noahs Ark!

Have you seen this?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100428/twl-ex...on-41f21e0.html

I'm sorry, but this really does encapsulate everything I despise about religious obsession. Okay, they found a lump of wood on Mount Ararat dated to around 4,800BC. So what? That doesn't mean it was part of an large wooden sailing ship grounded on a high mountain by receding flood waters. This isn't even archaeology, it's just dogma, pure and simple.

Have you seen this?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100428/twl-ex...on-41f21e0.html

I'm sorry, but this really does encapsulate everything I despise about religious obsession. Okay, they found a lump of wood on Mount Ararat dated to around 4,800BC. So what? That doesn't mean it was part of an large wooden sailing ship grounded on a high mountain by receding flood waters. This isn't even archaeology, it's just dogma, pure and simple.

Personally if I'd felt any real need to post this item I would have placed it firmly into ' Hora Postilla Thermae'. :whistling:

[Edit - I have never the less done some poking around and the Christian Science Monitor. has an interesting take on this 'discovery'..

Noah's Ark is routinely re-discovered, because there are many who fervently want it to be found. Biblical literalists — those who believe that proof of the Bible's events remains to be found — have spent their lives and fortunes trying to scientifically validate their religious beliefs.

There are several reasons why the new claims should be treated with skepticism. For example, Yeung refuses to disclose the location of the find and is instead keeping it a secret. This of course is inherently unscientific; for the claims to be proven, the evidence must be presented to other scientists for peer-review. Nor has the alleged 5,000-year-old wood been made available for independent testing.

I would also add that the [timber in the] photograph looks suprisingly regularly sawn for 4,800BC

Edited by Melvadius

Also from the Christian Science Monitor:

'Dr. Price, who is director of the Center for Judaic Studies at the conservative Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., was the archaeologist on the Chinese-led team in 2008 when this alleged discovery was first made. He says he has