UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Home Away from Rome

A really interesting subject, although the article mostly covers pretty common knowledge. I'll expand with my impressions of 2 villas just outside Rome on Appia Antica. The villa of Maxentious is amazing for it's racetrack (circus) which is excellant condition. The track is so huge that the only tourist there asked me where was it, and I had to point to the brickwork all around us practically out to horizon (horsestalls still there too).

The villa is fenced off for refurbishment or something and I failed to notice the most interesting feature... the villa extends to intersect the racetrack surround and gives residents a passageway to a private imperial box near the finish line without having to leave the house! I remember a buildup of bricks there, but didn't get a good look due to sticking to rare trails thru the knee-high weeds/wildflowers. Maybe someone will post pictures of this.

Further out is the Quintillis villa which was stolen by emperor Commodus murdering the owners. I forget the terminology (and all spellings), but besides the beautiful bath features they labeled an oval area as something Commodus converted from some fine architectural feature to a sick killing zone where he could slay prisoners/animals/cripples. It was amazing to have tangible evidence that seemed to match the stories of good, bad, and ugly emperors.

Edited by caesar novus