UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Macrobius' Saturnalia

Nephele

A new English translation of Macrobius' Saturnalia (Books 1-2) is due to be published this fall:

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674996496

The Saturnalia, Macrobius

>>Maty, remember when you were looking for an English translation of Macrobius' Saturnalia? <<

I was, until a friendly librarian helped me out! Will you be reviewing this one for UNRV, Nephele?

>>Maty, remember when you were looking for an English translation of Macrobius' Saturnalia? <<

I was, until a friendly librarian helped me out! Will you be reviewing this one for UNRV, Nephele?

I think you'd be a better choice as reviewer, Maty. You can certainly give a better opinion on the quality of the translation, than I can!

-- Nephele

I think this might be of interest in the context of the new translation

Studies on the Text of Macrobius' Saturnalia

http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199...tby=bestMatches

The first complete survey of all surviving manuscripts written before the 13th century

The first detailed "family tree" of the manuscripts that allows us to reconstruct the archetype (the common ancestor of all the extant manuscripts)

Extensive discussion of both theoretical and practical questions of modern editorial practice

Extensive discussion of over 100 of the 300 passages where the new edition differs from the standard text

Studies on the Text of Macrobius' Saturnalia is a companion to new editions of Macrobius' encyclopedic dialogue that are to appear in the Loeb Classical Library and the Oxford Classical Texts series.