UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Survey shows up Roman remains near Cockermouth and Papcastle

A local North West of England newspaper (The Times & Star) reports on recent geophysical survey work (June 2010)which was carried out after last years serious flooding in the area provided initial evidence for a Romano-British settlement in the area.

The survey has revealed that it was much larger than had previously been suspected, there is also currently a chance for locals to get involved in excavations at the site until early September.

AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL survey has revealed new evidence of a Romano-British settlement in Papcastle and Cockermouth.

A six-week survey of land alongside the River Derwent was carried out by Grampus Heritage after the floods revealed bits of Roman pottery. The survey started in June and was funded by Bassenthwaite Reflections.

Project manager Mark Graham said the geophysical survey had revealed that the settlement was much larger than previously thought and had unveiled one on the south side of the river which includes buildings, a road, ditched enclosure and an iron working site.

A large Roman building was also discovered on the north side of the river which is believed to be a bath house.

A community excavation will take place from Monday until Friday, September 3 and local volunteers will be invited along to help investigate some of the features revealed during the survey.

.....Continued

Well spotted, Melvadius.

A quick look at the current OS map shows it's an obvious place for a significant settlement to have grown up. You imagine something akin to Piercebridge.

Interesting that the gentleman interviewed says

Well spotted, Melvadius.

A quick look at the current OS map shows it's an obvious place for a significant settlement to have grown up. You imagine something akin to Piercebridge.

Interesting that the gentleman interviewed says "People always say that the Romans wouldn't have built by a river but our finds have all been by the river." Probably just me being na

River movement is a concern which was often mentioned at the temple complex I have recently been helping to excavate.

Off topic, but I'd love to hear more about this temple complex.

River movement is a concern which was often mentioned at the temple complex I have recently been helping to excavate.

Off topic, but I'd love to hear more about this temple complex.

I have a few photographs of the excavations which I will try and post on the gallery when I look them out but full details of the Marcham Frilford Temple complex excavations, including the last 10 years of interim site reports, can be read at the Oxford University Vale and Ridgeway Project website. If you read these in sequence you can sometimes see how interpretations of elements of the site slowly shifted as more was learnt about it and the lead archaeologists tried to integrate new (and sometimes almost contradictory) information from each years excavations into previous work.

BTW I understand that Britannia, the annual publication of the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies, should be carrying a fuller interim report this year when it comes out in November 2010.