UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rare Roman lantern found in field near Sudbury

Melvadius

The BBC have picked up on the recent donation of an extremely rare Roman bronze lantern to Ipswich Museum which was apparently found during a metal detecting rally.

A metal detecting enthusiast has found what is believed to be the only intact Roman lantern made out of bronze ever discovered in Britain.

Danny Mills, 21, made the find in a field near Sudbury in Suffolk.

The area was dotted with plush Roman villas and country estates in the second century.

The object, described as a rare example of Roman craftsmanship, has been donated to Ipswich Museum where is it now on display.

In the autumn of 2009, Mr Mills, a metal detector user, found a large bronze object whilst metal detecting in a field near Sudbury.

He immediately reported the discovery to Suffolk Archaeological Unit.

'Magnificent object'

A Colchester and Ipswich Museums (CIM) spokeswoman said: "It turned out to be the only complete example of a Roman lantern found in Britain.

...continued

Reuters is also carrying the story and have a couple of photographs of the find (only one was used in the BBc article) they also mention that the lamp appeared on the first programme in the new 'Digging for Britain' series on BBC.

What is not in either articles, as far as I can see, is something mentioned in the programme that the lamp base had been repaired with a replacement foot from another lamp welded on sometime during the Roman period.

If anyone missed the first episode on Roman Britain which included mention of the lamp as well as other recent finds, including the Frome Horde and the child burials at Hambledon Villa 'brothel' suggestion, it is still available to be watched on BBC iplayer for another 15 days (from 2/9/10).

Unfortunately I believe this service is only available if you are in Britain. :(

Reuters is also carrying the story and have a couple of photographs of the find (only one was used in the BBC article) they also mention that the lamp appeared on the first programme in the new 'Digging for Britain' series on BBC.

A smashing programme . . . I was frankly gobsmacked that it didn't receive much in the way of attention on this forum. Then again, I didn't bother to mention it myself.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Reuters is also carrying the story and have a couple of photographs of the find (only one was used in the BBC article) they also mention that the lamp appeared on the first programme in the new 'Digging for Britain' series on BBC.

A smashing programme . . . I was frankly gobsmacked that it didn't receive much in the way of attention on this forum. Then again, I didn't bother to mentioned it myself.

I did mention that it was coming up in a couple of postings before the event as well as providing a short update following seeing it on the 'brothel' Villa thread.

I do have to admit that in the event with a submission deadline for my dissertation looming I almost managed to miss it myself but luckily caught most of it the first time round :)

As you say it covered some very interesting sites and finds from the last year of British Archaeology. The pre-histroy programme was equally interesting and with Anglo-Saxons' tonight that should be another goodie

Now I wonder what they could possibly mention in that....possibly something to do with the Midlands ??? B) .

Mind you I am slightly confused from looking at the BBC site if this will be episode 3 of 4 or if there really are '5 programmes [in the series] coming up' :unsure: although that appears to just be the next five time slots adn channels the next programme will be shown on over the next week.

N.B. From looking at Dr Roberts BBC blog it appears that the last programme will cover the Tudor period.