UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rare Roman Helmet and Face Mask find

stella

Even though I was fairly resigned to the fact that this was almost inevitable, I'm actually more than saddened by this - I'm pretty bloody cross about it (excuse my French!), and I'd like to think that I did at least something, however futile, to try and ensure it never happens again.

So . . . advice please. Maybe start off with some kind of petition or letter writing campaign. What should we say? Who do we send it to?

I have a sneaking suspicion that, given the current financial climate, these things are bought up by financial speculators. What do you think? If that is the case, surely Stella's idea of enforced public display would benefit the investor as well as the public, in terms of the savings on insurance and security costs whilst the object was in the care of the relevant museum.

Let's not just moan about it, let's do something about it!

Even though I was fairly resigned to the fact that this was almost inevitable, I'm actually more than saddened by this - I'm pretty bloody cross about it (excuse my French!), and I'd like to think that I did at least something, however futile, to try and ensure it never happens again.

So . . . advice please. Maybe start off with some kind of petition or letter writing campaign. What should we say? Who do we send it to?

I have a sneaking suspicion that, given the current financial climate, these things are bought up by financial speculators. What do you think? If that is the case, surely Stella's idea of enforced public display would benefit the investor as well as the public, in terms of the savings on insurance and security costs whilst the object was in the care of the relevant museum.

Let's not just moan about it, let's do something about it!

Oh good! I don't have to be polite anymore! I'm bloody angry as well! The deficiency in the Treasure Act is well documented and, according to a letter in The Times today, a review of the Act was due in 2007 which would have covered such items which fell out of the terms of the original Act. The letter goes on to state:

'We believe, however, that the definition of treasure should be extended without further delay to ensure that public interest is more reliably safeguarded in the future. This can be done by order and does not require primary legislation'.

The letter is signed by:

Lord Renfrew of Kaimsthorn (Chair, All-Party Parliamentary Archaeology Group)

Lord Howarth of Newport (Vice-Chair)

Lord Redesdale (Secretary), House of Lords

So, as a start, a short letter of support to Lord Renfrew would not go amiss. In addition, I intend to contact the Tullie House Museum directly to lend support to any further action they might take. Then, I guess, it is Archaeological bodies and publications e.g.British Archaeology, Current Archaeology and the CBA. Asking your local archaeological society to write a leter of protest to the above bodies and their local MP might also be useful. I can only hope that the helmet is such and unusual, important and individual item that public awareness can be raised.

Your point about financial speculators buying up such items is an interesting one and makes me even more angry! However, rumour has it that it may have been bought by the Getty Museum which, if true, the Museum should be at least pressurised to allow the Helmet to go on public display preferably at Tullie House!

Finally, members of this forum could also write expressing their dismay at such items disppearing into private collections!

Good luck!

A surprising article about the helmet on NYT (because is short I copied it in full)

"When Art World's Gain Turns Into a Country's Loss

by Souren Melikian (surena was a parthian title if I recall well :rolleyes: )

LONDON

Very well written. I agree completely.

A surprising article about the helmet on NYT (because is short I copied it in full)

"When Art World's Gain Turns Into a Country's Loss

by Souren Melikian (surena was a parthian title if I recall well :rolleyes: )

LONDON

Interestingly, something not dissimilar to the Crosby Garrett was worn by the Cybele at the start of I, Claudius.