UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire

GhostOfClayton

This DVD looks almost suspiciously cheap. Has anybody got/seen it? Worth getting/watching?

• 3 weeks later...

I had seen this advertised on Amazon but I ignored it as I assumed it was the American version of the 2006 BBC series.

The fact that they have an episode centerted on a rather obscure Emperor like Decius makes this sound like it might have something new to offer over the standard documentaries that only follow the 'big' events of Roman history. On the other hand it still feels a bit like your average 'over the top' History Channel documentary.

OK - I'm going to buy the thing, and to hell with the expense. Watch this space.

This program is on the History Channel in the UK every couple of months. It's pretty good, I've always enjoyed it as it covers some obscure people. Of course, I'm sure there will be the usual complaining that the third legionary from the left is wearing the wrong kind of calligae, but if you can get over that, then you'll find it an entertaining way of spending a good few hours. Its a long series, huge in scope and for me they've used the budget well. It looks like its mostly done in Eastern Europe where sets, costumes and cast are relatively cheap.

Its definitely worth watching.

Cheers

Russ

It was waiting for me on my doormat last night. Actually, it was so big that our Postie had to leave it in the greenhouse.

My first impression on opening the packet was the sheer amount of television there is to watch. Given the "next-to-bu***r-all" I paid, it would have to be spectaculary bad for me to have wasted my money. . . and Russ' comments are very encouraging.

Watch this space over the coming weeks, months, and possibly even years.

The fact that they have an episode centerted on a rather obscure Emperor like Decius makes this sound like it might have something new to offer over the standard documentaries that only follow the 'big' events of Roman history.

Wasn't Decius the one whose army was annihilated by the barbarians in an Adrianople-like manner? Rome was fortunate that they were willing to return to their homes after taking plunder and accepting bribes. It seems to me that this was an important event that could have led to an earlier collapse of the empire.

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that they have an episode centerted on a rather obscure Emperor like Decius makes this sound like it might have something new to offer over the standard documentaries that only follow the 'big' events of Roman history.

Wasn't Decius the one whose army was annihilated by the barbarians in an Adrianople-like manner? Rome was fortunate that they were willing to return to their homes after taking plunder and accepting bribes. It seems to me that this was an important event that could have led to an earlier collapse of the empire.

I suppose in a way that's true, although history documentaries only ever seem to concentrate on the Julius Caesars, the Cleopatras and the Alexander the Greats of the ancient world. Decius and the Battle of Abrittus/Forum Terebronii tend to be obscure events in comparison to the big names of history. That's what makes this documentary sound so much more fresh and unusual.

• 3 weeks later...

I've waded my way through much of this now. Here's my opinion for what it's worth:

Pros

There's a LOT of it.

It's SOOO cheap.

I'm yet to spot any factual innacuracies with the commentry.

There are good range of well qualified historians, whose opinions are interesting and informative.

Lanista, there's an episode on the Dacian wars (Domtian and Trajan). It doesn't go into the kind of detail you need, though I think you'd be interested in the Historians' views. PM me if you'd like a copy.

Cons

There only seem to be two different Legionary uniforms (one for regulars, one for auxillaries, which were used from Marius' time, and onwards to the bitter end (though the helmets may have changed.)

Locations are limited (I'm sure the same river doubled for the Rubicon and the Thames).

With no dialogue being used, the acting isn't convincing.

The enacted military tactics don't ring true, though when described by the historians, it's all spot on.

In summary, excellent value for money as long as you don't expect too much.

Hmm, your excelllent little review has prompted me to go onto the Amazon website and invest in what appears to be a little gem of a DVD. I am pleased that it gives more 'obscure' characters their due place in history. ( On obscure Romans, I'm pretty certain that if Shakespeare had written about Decius, Aurelian, Placida etc etc as well as Caesar et al these people would be seen as less marginal characters in popular culture.)

Hmm, your excelllent little review has prompted me to go onto the Amazon website and invest in what appears to be a little gem of a DVD. I am pleased that it gives more 'obscure' characters their due place in history. ( On obscure Romans, I'm pretty certain that if Shakespeare had written about Decius, Aurelian, Placida etc etc as well as Caesar et al these people would be seen as less marginal characters in popular culture.)

I agree it does sound interesting, especially the sheer length of the series and the ground it covers. I'll probably get this for Christmas.