UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Archimedes and the President

Nephele

On December 8th President Obama will be appearing in an episode of the Discovery Channel's Mythbusters.

"Obama will challenge hosts Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman to revisit the controversial claim that ancient Greek scientist and mathematician Archimedes set fire to a fleet of invading Roman ships by using mirrors that reflect the sun's rays.

"In keeping with the "Mythbusters" format, which uses scientific methods to confirm or refute claims often widely accepted as true, Savage and Hyneman will attempt to replicate Archimedes' reputed attack on the Roman ships."

Full story here.

-- Nephele

Does the President have nothing better to do with his time?

I saw the original episode, which was interesting. Using modern mirrors they were able to set ships afire, but using the ones available in Archimede's day they couldn't get it to light in a timely fashion.

Does the President have nothing better to do with his time?

In addition, today the President happens to be hosting a science fair at the White House, honoring students from across the nation who participated in math and science competitions. Whatever else you may not like about Obama, I'm glad to see a leader of this nation pushing for scientific inquiry instead of religious beliefs.

I saw the original episode, which was interesting. Using modern mirrors they were able to set ships afire, but using the ones available in Archimede's day they couldn't get it to light in a timely fashion.

Missed that one. I'll have to hunt it down now!

-- Nephele

...i think that link will fit in here nicely...

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11271

cheers

viggen

Ah, I'd missed Melvadius' posting of that LiveScience report last summer. In light of the recent study done (steam cannons vs. mirrors), I wonder whether this new information will be incorporated into this apparent follow-up Mythbusters episode?

Also, cheers to you, Viggen, on having gotten Cesare Rossi to supply a response for UNRV!

-- Nephele

In recent years science in the US has taken a back seat to a certain religious fervor. During the administration of the last president, the National Parks Service supported the sale in its bookshops of a biblical explanation for the creation of the Grand Canyon. And this despite the objections of America's leading geologists. These days it's no small matter when an American president supports science.

From Time.com, November 17, 2004:

http://www.time.com/...,783829,00.html

At a park called Dinosaur Adventure Land, run by creationists near Pensacola, Florida, visitors are informed that man coexisted with dinosaurs. This fantasy accommodates the creationists view that the Earth is only 6,000 years old and that Darwin's theory of evolution is false. Among the park exhibits is one that illustrates another creationist article of faith. It consists of a long trough filled with sand and fitted at one end with a water spigot. Above the trough is a sign reading That River Didn't Make That Canyon. When visitors open the spigot, the water quickly cuts a gully through the sand, supposedly demonstrating how the Grand Canyon was created, practically overnight, by Noah's flood. Thats nonsense, of course, but what else would you expect at a creationist park? Certainly, one might think, this couldn't be acceptable at, say, a National Park, right? Think again.

I also would like to pass on my thanks to Viggen for obtaining the very inciteful synopsis of his Archimedes presentations from Cesare Rossi, I suspect I missed it during my annual excavation work last year. I somehow suspect that unfortunately Cesare's presentation will not figure highly, if at all, in the Mythbusters programme as it would completely short-circuit their investigation.

On a general note with a few of their investigations I have heard it suggested that there may be more than one item with the same or similar name or else items made with earlier formulae but the 'Mythbusters' appear to have investigated accidently or otherwise the wrong one in association with particualr 'myths'. The sycronised marching machine is a case in point as the original 'myth' depends heavily on what material the bridge was made out of as well as how it was constructed. They only tried one combination but really should have considered wooden as opposed to metal or stone as the base material and a single or multiple spans as opposed to arched or a suspended bridge construction etc.

It would be nice if they acknowledged the lack of ancient sources for the 'mirror' method before they started but their method probably makes for a more 'entertaining' TV exposee ;)