UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Admiration For Rome

Guest spartacus

Guest spartacus

Quite a vast topic this one! We all visit this site because fundamentally we admire the romans, maybe for the way of life, their laws, the powerful armies - whatever!

The question is, which is the one thing you most admire about roman life and if possible would you incorporate it into todays modern society?

I most admire their architecture, some of the buildings were beautiful unlike todays concrete monstrosities!

I would like to see a return to the classical look, something that is pleasing to the eye!

I like their social values. Romans have the reputation for being a bloody set of genocidal maniacs who fabricated an EVIL EMPIRE - you even see that myth from people on here who should know better. But I find the Roman Way to be honorable and moral.

Among those social values I see:

- A relative religious tolerance

- A relative lack of modern notions and preoccupations with race and ethnicity

- A practical nature that emphasizes actions and deeds over abstract speculation

- A concern for law and order, and social harmony

- A respect for tradition and history that still allows innovation and adaptation

- A strong sense of civic duty and social virtue

- An emphasis on honor and glory, and one's proper standing in the community

These are all things which I strongly internalize and which I would love to foster in modern society.

It is very difficult to pick the one thing that I most admire. Originally it was the glory of the Legions that pulled me in, but that was just the beginning. If I had to pick that one thing which I most admire, and would like to see replicated today, it would be the Roman sense of honor. Applying this dignitas to modern society would be a social boost that would re-invent how people think, behave and act. Ursus sums up my own thoughts on Rome very well I think.