UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Celtic Bibliography

Celtictool

Well volunteered, you two! Would you be interested in purely academic works, or popular titles (dare I say 'coffee table books!) as well? I have a fair amount of both if you want me to send in my lists, ISBN's etc.

Well volunteered, you two! Would you be interested in purely academic works, or popular titles (dare I say 'coffee table books!) as well? I have a fair amount of both if you want me to send in my lists, ISBN's etc.

Both sound good to me!

• 3 weeks later...

R. J. Bradley 2007 The Prehistory of Britain & Ireland

T. Champion & J.R. Collis 1996 The Iron Age in Britain & Ireland.

G. Cooney, K. Becker, J. Coles, M. Ryan, & S. Sievers, Relics of old decency: Archaeological studies in later prehistory. Dublin: Wordwell

B. W. Cunliffe 2004 Iron Age Britain. (2nd ed.).

B. W. Cunliffe 2005 Iron Age Communities in Britain.

A. Gwilt & C.C. Haselgrove 1997 Reconstructing Iron Age societies.

D.W. Harding 2004 The Iron Age in northern Britain.

C. Haselgrove & T. Moore 2007. The later Iron Age in Britain & beyond.

C. Haselgrove & R. Pope 2007. The earlier Iron Age in Britain & the near Continent.

C. Haselgrove et al. 2001. Understanding the British Iron Age - an agenda for action. (earlier version at http://www.reading.ac.uk/~lascretn/IAAgenda.htm)

I.B.M. Ralston & J. Hunter, The Archaeology of Britain.

J. C. Henderson, 2007. The Atlantic Iron Age.

J. Pollard 2008. Prehistoric Britain.

F. Pryor 2003. Britain BC Britain & Ireland before the Romans.

I.B.M. Ralston 2006. Celtic fortifications.

N. Sharples, 2010. Social relations in later Prehistory.

M, Sterry, A Tullett, N Ray 2010. In search of the Iron Age.

This is just a little sample. I thought I would throw something out there since I haven't seen any action on this thread in awhile.

Sorry to flame the thread, but I just found out about this new website called Phile.com I thought it could help us out with building a bibliography. Sure, we could continuously update a thread on here ending up with a variety of sources spread out amongst various pages, but with Phile we could use a sticky on the forum and from there we could have a link to Phile with ratings and comments. Take a look at this example: Archaeology in Europe please let me know what you all think!

• 1 month later...

I bought The Celtic World, which is an anthology of essays edited by Miranda Green.

It is a rather expensive book, but I found it cheaply used on Amazon.

It is very academic and not intended for the general reader. It is dry, long winded, and some of the topics are rather arcane.

But those who have a keen interest in the Celts may find it rewarding.

I haven't read Miranda Green's version of the Celtic World. I really wish people would stop calling their books "The Celtic World" occasionally with something else added into it. A quick look at Google Scholar pulls up a list of books with that name as can be seen here.

Would you mind telling me how much archaeology it uses? Does it use more archaeology than written sources? Also, what's the bibliography like? Is it footnoted or written like a general bibliography to a popular work? I'm just asking as I'd like to compare these kinds of things for myself amongst a variety of works.