UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Catus Decianus

Lanista

Hi gang - I keep finding different names for this guy. This is the fellow that ordered the rape of Boudicca's daughters and caused all that trouble.

So - is it Catus Decianus or vice versa. I can't find much internet information on him at all :-(

Cheers

Russ

As far as I can tell there are only 3 source points for him, two by Tacitus and one by Cassius Dio:

Tac. Ann. 14.32

Tac. Ann. 14.38

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Cassius_Dio/62*.html#2

Found them via William Smith, btw - one of the easiest ways to look up source references for individuals.

My guess is that the fellows name is Catus Decianus with a missing praenomen (eg Gaius). Unfortunately though, both Catus and Decianus have evidence as agnomen, so it really could be either way... maybe Nephele can help?

If we go by normal Roman nomenclature, and the Romans themselves sometimes did not, the name would suggest that this particular scumbag was originally of the Decius clan, and was adopted by one Catus. The '-anus' suffix (particularly appropriate here) is usually used by an adoptee to show his original gens.

A better known example from a previous generation would be Scipio Aemilianus.