UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

identify this wall PALATINE

Lee

Hi all . Can someone identify this wall on the western Palatine hill. It's about 100 yards from S Theodoro church . I took these shots this august in Rome. It was right outside of a gate on Via San Theodoro ( it must have been a Palatine entrance at one time , there was sort of a guard house next to the gate)

I can't really nail it on the maps I have , I know there's some real knowledgeable people on here who may be able to help.

Many Thanks , Lee

palatinewall.jpg

palatinewal2.jpg

That's right next to (or below and next to?) the Domus Flaviorum, on the end of the Arch of Septimus Severus. I don't recall the name of that specific wall,but I took shots of it, too, from the Forum floor.

clipboard01ey.jpg

Many thanx. Actually I had that same shot from Google Earth with me on my trip (and many others) .I've become very interested in that end of the Palatine.

Most maps I've found don't give much detail on the corner of the hill.

This map seems to say it 's the remains of the Wall of the Kings MAP

I was also trying to see if I could see the site of the Lupercal but wasn't sure I was in the general area. I wonder if they ever intend to let visitors into that section of the Palatine? I have quite a few other good shots of that area but really couldn't identify much of what I saw there.

Any other input would be appreciated. If anyone knows of a more detailed map of that area please let me know. Many Thanx LEE

clipboard01ey.jpg

Many thanx. Actually I had that same shot from Google Earth with me on my trip (and many others) .I've become very interested in that end of the Palatine.

Most maps I've found don't give much detail on the corner of the hill.

This map seems to say it 's the remains of the Wall of the Kings MAP

I was also trying to see if I could see the site of the Lupercal but wasn't sure I was in the general area. I wonder if they ever intend to let visitors into that section of the Palatine? I have quite a few other good shots of that area but really couldn't identify much of what I saw there.

Any other input would be appreciated. If anyone knows of a more detailed map of that area please let me know. Many Thanx LEE

BY THE WAY BING MAPS have some excellent "birds eye " views of the area. You can also switch angles and get different areal views .

BING MAP ROMAN FORUM