UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The military vici of Noricum

...i cant even describe how delighted i am to have discovered this.(thanks to Lindsay Powell) (i am from Noricum and there is hardly anything in the english world)....

A Dissertation presented to the Faculty of the Graduate School University of Missouri-Columbia In Partial Fulfillment Of the Requirements for the DegreeDoctor of Philosophy by SHANNON ROGERS FLYNT - Dr. Marcus Rautman, Dissertation Supervisor May 2005

Abstract: This dissertation examines the civilian settlements that developed next to the auxiliary forts on the Danube frontier of the Roman province of Noricum. Chapter one of this study provides a brief consideration of the history of Roman frontier studies, a field in which the vici generally have been overlooked. Chapter two gives a short history of the Norican limes in particular. Chapter three includes descriptions of the fourteen Norican auxiliary forts and their vici, relying on archaeological material as the main basis for information about the sites. Chapter four provides an analysis of the character and development of the vici during the Roman occupation of Noricum (1st through the 5th centuries CE), including their location, layout, physical structures and the role that they played on the frontier. Chapter five considers the later history of the vici and the possibility of their survival into the early Middle Ages...

...via https://mospace.umsy....pdf?sequence=3

...i cant even describe how delighted i am to have discovered this.(thanks to Lindsay Powell) (i am from Noricum and there is hardly anything in the english world)....

Does that mean you will be writing a review of it? ;)

Seriously I had a quick browse and there does appear to be a lot of information in it so it is now on my list to find some time to read more fully.

Nice. I've read parts of it and found it interesting. The fact that the romans were never interested in the fortification of civilian settlements even if they were placed right on a dangerous border is surprising but even more surprising is that only one of those vici described here was destroyed by war.

Looks very interesting indeed! Good find, Viggen. I've dropped it to my Kindle to read at my leisure.

• 2 weeks later...