UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Most Despotic Roman Emperor?

Lex

Hi

Who do you think is THE most despotic Roman Emperor ever? And when I say 'despotic' I don't mean acts like killing family members or enemies etc, I mean towards the population of the Empire as a whole. So which emperor was the harshest and cruelest towrds the citizens and under who's reign would you say that the Romans suffered the most because of the emperor?

Guest spartacus

Nero has to be a front-runner, He nearly spent all the state money bankrolling his palace!

he raised taxes to get the job finished and the citizens suffered for it!

Caligula had totally disregard for the sanctity of life, upon his accession to absolute power the 3 months celebrations included the sacrifice of 160,000 people!

I agree with you on Nero and Caligula, but I admit I never knew that Caligula was such a tyrant to the population as a whole. Do you know of anything else that he did?

How about the most oppressive taxes (and the means to obtain them)? I've heard that in the later empire taxes were so bad that many Roman citizens chose to rather become exiles and abandon their property.

Apparently when Caracalla was in one of the eastern provinces (I think Syria) he had a few thousand people from a city killed, because some of them 'insulted his dignity'. I don't think anyone ever insulted him again...

I've read Suetonius a few times and don't recall him ever saying that Caligula specifically killed 160,000 people. There are many references to all sorts of atrocities, but never an exact number that I recall. Keep in mind too that Suetonius is widely considered among the least accurate of some already fairly poor choices.

Guest spartacus

Reference : Suetonius The Twelve Caesars

Chapter 4 Page 156

Quote:

so splendid were the celebrations that 160,000 victims were publicly sacrificed duing the next 3 months, or perhaps even a shorter period.

I know Suetonius is prone to exaggeration, I was merely quoting what was written

• 2 months later...

Most Despotic? Hmm, so many choices, so little time. Well, if one eliminates all the totally bizzar private/personal antics (your standard incest, murder, rape, regicide, patricide, matricide, infantocide, torture, buggery, spitting on the sidewalk and the like), the worst Roman despot in a totally public sense is, in my opinion, Diocletian, who's "reforms" acted to permanently fix/limit the future status, lives and livelyhoods of all Roman citizens.

Second choice: Constantine I (and those he empowered ) who permanently imposed the religion called Christianity upon all Romans -- and much of the world thereafter.