UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Brazilians are not Latins...

Viggen

I was wondering why we get so many visitors from the Economist today and after checking it out, someone in the comment section posted to us, it was about the exciting topic if Brazilians are Latins or not...

a pissed off Eduardo posts;

Obama does a trip by America. Brazil is not part of Latin America because we are not Latins (=Hispanics). The continent does not end at the border of Mexico / USA. Indeed this is perhaps the largest territorial extension in America. This is so obvious that in Chile he will discourse to Latin America. While in Brazil he made already a speech TO BRAZIL. In Chile he will make a speech to Latin America (and to Latins), not to Brazil.The U.S. began to see the REAL Brazil, not the Brazil as a caricature of Latin, which British/English press always distorted the Brazilians.

wabash sphinx replies with our link;It's advisable to check your facts before holding forth on a subject you have little grasp of:

Don't complain too much. More traffic to the site from anywhere is potentially a good thing particularly if we get more members or at least regular readers out of it.

In addition if they do visit on a regular basis we could have some dedicated economists effectively on tap available and willing to try answering or at least discussing economics related questions like how could the Roman empire pay for itself for so long;).

This is an interesting issue involving semantics but with geopolitical connotations. I was born and bred in Brazil and from personal experience, I must say I agree to a certain extent with the first poster (Eduardo). Brazilians tend to view themselves as different from other Latin Americans - this doesn't mean they regard themselves as superior but rather as a distinct cultural and linguistic entity.

Even though the term "Hispanic" was originally attributed to the inhabitants of ancient Hispania (comprising modern Spain and Portugal), it has come to mean something else over the years. I checked my (Brazilian) Portuguese dictionary just to be sure and it does indeed state that "Hispanic" is more commonly associated with Spanish or a Spanish-speaking person. On the other hand, unlike our friend Eduardo, I would say that I do consider myself to be Latin American (or Latin). Just not Hispanic...

Btw, it is indeed interesting how seemingly unrelated topics or discussions will lead you to UNRV.