UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Paradise lost: Persia from above

Melvadius

The Independent is currently carrying an article and associated images relating to a new book by Swiss photographer Georg Gerster which is quite interesting. However be warned about the first of the series of 10 images claiming to be of 'the Ancient City of Firuzabad' in Persia (Iran) it is actually the Broch of Gurness in Shetland. Firuzibad looks like this from the air. I don't know when the article was originally posted but I do wonder if this is an April Fools joke by either the Independent itself or even one by a member of their staff which has not been spotted by the Independent's management?

Swiss photographer Georg Gerster undertook a dangerous mission to capture the beauty of Iran from the air on film, sticking his camera out a of a plane to do so

Pioneer in aerial photography Georg Gerster, who captured stunning images of 1970s Iran from the air, explains how he came to undertake such a perilous and rewarding photographic journey.

A gift such as this is received only once in a lifetime.

Flying on business over Iran, I had been struck by the thought that Persia

Update (5 Apr '11) - the Independent seem to have finally realised their earlier mistake. :(

The spurious image of the 'Broch of Gurness' has now been removed and replaced with the correct image of the 'Ancient City of Firuzabad' at position 5 (instead of 1) in the set of 10 'Persian' images here.

Sad for anyone who missed it but fun while it was still incorrect :D

Edit for anyone who missed the orignial image, which the Independent have now taken down, I have found another copy of it on the web here :)