UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Do You Think Fo This Story I Just Wrote?

Guest Scanderbeg

Guest Scanderbeg

Well it seems I can't add a attachment and make a poll simultaneously. So I won't make the poll like I wanted since it would be awkward to post the entire thing on this post. So if you have the time to read it and want to, do so and tell me what you think of it. I came up with in while in a Rome: Total War Parthian Campaign. :)

Parthian_Campaign.doc

• 5 months later...

Well, as a writer, I did think you made a decent effort to portray your character with detailed descriptions of his army and the battle. However, it seems a little dry and biographical and the style I think is suited more to a profile or documentary kind of account and not really structured as a story.

I think you might come up with something based on your material by sticking to the classic story structure / format, which is fairly simple - A beginning, a middle and the end or climax. I think if you could rewrite your material using this structure and use some personal details about the character's life - his family, his childhood, something more personal that would enable the reader to relate to the character in a personal way, that would make this much more dramatic and also give it significance. I think the key is to introduce your main character in a personal way and tell your story in a very intimate personal manner and let all the history / battle you describe form a backdrop. This will engage the reader from the very start as what you want to do with all stories is to allow the reader to participate in your story and this is something you'll have to practise.

From personal experience, I can tell you that it is never easy to work on a story. You'll go through a number of rewrites, edits and re-edits. A story is therefore like a piece of sculpture and you keep chipping away, chipping away until you get that polished gem you're looking for.

Good luck on your writing. I think you have made a good start but you would need to do a few rewrites before it's ready for publication. If you do need help and / or guidance, once you've thought about your story concept and filled in personal details etc and structured your material, let me know. I'll be glad to help and you can contact me via private message.