UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Romans and the paranormal

Aurelia

This is an old episode - entitled "Legends of the Legionnaires" [sic] - from Ghost Hunters, a series aired on Discovery Channel in the 90s I used to watch. This one is quite entertaining and, given its subject matter, I thought I'd share it with you.

Part 1

Part 2

Anyone ever seen a Roman ghost? :D

Edited by Aurelia

I thought all ghosts were roamin' (through graveyards, old houses, etc.).

-- Nephele

Saw a Babylonian, Assyrian (his name was Sanhaneser I think) and an... Amaleqian but Roman, hum...no

Wow, Babylonians, Assyrians? Much older ghosts - interesting but not surprising since you live in the holy land. Never heard of Amaleqians though.

Saw a Babylonian, Assyrian (his name was Sanhaneser I think) and an... Amaleqian but Roman, hum...no

Wow, Babylonians, Assyrians? Much older ghosts - interesting but not surprising since you live in the holy land. Never heard of Amaleqians though.

Damn, I knew it !!! So maybe I saw an Amalekite ? Maybe

Aaaaah, ok, Amalekite makes more sense. For a moment I thought you had made contact with a new breed of ghost. :D

Anyone ever seen a Roman ghost? :lol:

I can't say that I've ever seen a ghost of any desription but a few years back there was a story circulating in the media about ghostly Roman legionaries being seen on Hadrians Wall.

Personally I didn't take much notice of the story as I knew that one of the Re-enactor groups were having a sponsored walk along the Wall in full kit at the time and the weather had been truly foul for much of it with thick swirling fog - you get the picture :hammer:

Melvadius

Aha. Now Swindon isn't the center of the haunted world at all, but we have one or two spirits lurking in dark corners. Better yet, there's a book in the reference section dealing with this penumbral problem. Even better than that, I seem to remember something about a roman lingering on.... I am a man with a mission. More details as they come.

As I expected, most ghostly encounters in Swindon revolve around pubs. Hmm... Not quite sure why... :lol:

However, there's a lot of activity along Ermine St - unfortunately mostly Dick Turpin era or later - but there is one mention of a luminscent lemure

The village and parish of Wanborough ( Town of "Durocornovium" ) a mile or so south east of urban Swindon, also has its share of haunting accounts. The top of Binlands was said to be the site of the appearance of a Roman soldier. The reporter told of a legionaire, in full colour, marching straight tioward him. Apparently he was agitated and was relunctant to return to the spot.

Haunted Swindon - A census of Hauntings - Dave Wood & Nicky Sewell

As I expected, most ghostly encounters in Swindon revolve around pubs. Hmm... Not quite sure why... :)

However, there's a lot of activity along Ermine St - unfortunately mostly Dick Turpin era or later - but there is one mention of a luminscent lemure

The village and parish of Wanborough ( Town of "Durocornovium" ) a mile or so south east of urban Swindon, also has its share of haunting accounts. The top of Binlands was said to be the site of the appearance of a Roman soldier. The reporter told of a legionaire, in full colour, marching straight tioward him. Apparently he was agitated and was relunctant to return to the spot.

Haunted Swindon - A census of Hauntings - Dave Wood & Nicky Sewell

Interesting story, thanks for sharing.

• 2 years later...

FYI, I started a similar thread back in 2009. Guess it's good to refresh these topics from time to time. ;)