UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Forum Alieni

gilius

Does anyone have any info on this Roman town? Was it a proper Roman town?

It has been linked to Ferrara and other places in the delta, but I don't think any kind of proof has ever materialised.

The delta being what it is, that's not entirely surprising I guess.

It's the actual gallery, the walls have maps painted on them.

I'm not sure they have individual names, but iirc there's only one map of Roman Italy.

That map is unique so it must have it's own name... I'll see if I can track down the guidebook to the galleries, though this map probably is well known in isolation.

There can't be too many sources with "Forum Alieni".

Sure, because some Renaissance-era painting with no verifiable scientific accuracy whatsoever mentions some obscure place, it must have a name. Nice logic you got going there :)

I'm going to take a guess and say it's called 'ancient Italy'. A unique name for a unique map.

FORUM ALLIENI a city of Gallia Cisalpina, mentioned only by Tacitus (Tac. Hist. 3.6) during the civil wars of Vitellius and Vespasian, A.D. 69, but in a manner that affords little clue to its position, except that it was situated on some river, the passage of which it was important to defend. Cluver was inclined to place it at Ferrara, on the Po; others have fixed on Legnago, on the Adige, between Mantua and Padua, which is certainly the more probable site, and agrees better with the movements of the campaign. (Cluver, Ital. p. 155; Orell. ad Tac. l.c.)

Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854)

The map itself looks like a medieval reconstruction of the area between Vicenza and Modena as it was in Roman times.

Hope this helps.