UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The first Roman army

I've been doing research for a game I'm developing. I was hoping this would be a good place to ask some questions!

Looking at the period in the immediate months post Etruscian rule, when Rome had to fend off the armies of Veii and Tarquinii B.C. 510..

Surly, the newly independant Rome would be structured like any other Etruscian army?

..if so, when did Rome develop the structure of hastati, principes, triarii and velites?

Thanks

The widely accepted date for the beginning of the 'consular' legions is 300BC. Before that the romans employed forces organised according to greek/etruscan lines.

The widely accepted date for the beginning of the 'consular' legions is 300BC. Before that the romans employed forces organised according to greek/etruscan lines.

The Samnite Wars took place in hilly terrain, for which a manipular legion was better than a phalanx. However, gradual changes in the legion makeup probably began sooner with the reforms of Camillus after the Roman phalanx was soundly defeated by the Senones at the battle of Allia.

I've been doing research for a game I'm developing. I was hoping this would be a good place to ask some questions!

Looking at the period in the immediate months post Etruscian rule, when Rome had to fend off the armies of Veii and Tarquinii B.C. 510..

Surly, the newly independant Rome would be structured like any other Etruscian army?

..if so, when did Rome develop the structure of hastati, principes, triarii and velites?

Thanks

Are you by chance making a mod for Rome Total War? If so, I would like to participate, or at least offer some ideas. :D